Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some maintenance on my 2003 Honda VTX 1300. I took the air filter cover off and discovered the internal was melted and filter burn though. When I bought this, someone bypass the fuel pump and ran the fuel line straight to the carb. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure, what causes the damage.

·
Old Goat
26,303 Posts
Bypassing the pump is a popular mod…as to the burn if it were a car I would say backfired thru the carb…others will be along…good luck

After u make any post…look at the bottom of the page ,often there are archived post that may reflect a similar problem…

Some reading

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was doing some maintenance on my 2003 Honda VTX 1300. I took the air filter cover off and discovered the internal was melted and filter burn though. When I bought this, someone bypass the fuel pump and ran the fuel line straight to the carb. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure, what causes the damage.
I helped a friend reverse this mod because his riding style matched my own - meaning we like to do long distance riding. Because of this I am a big fan of - leaving it stock -. Far less trouble when you push your bike for several thousand miles in a week or so.
Put it back the way it was designed, it will run just fine and you'll sleep better at night.

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
I helped a friend reverse this mod because his riding style matched my own - meaning we like to do long distance riding. Because of this I am a big fan of - leaving it stock -. Far less trouble when you push your bike for several thousand miles in a week or so.
Put it back the way it was designed, it will run just fine and you'll sleep better at night.
So leaving the fuel pump in the circuit adds to reliability? I don't think so my friend. The fuel pump was not used in every year model, taking it out of the circuit actually offers one less point of failure. That is why it is a popular mod for the one year of the 1300.

That said ... whatever helps you sleep nights (y)

Reactions: TennX

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Only 1 year (03) then they got smart….
It remains unclear to me why Honda felt a fuel pump was at all necessary, but '03 was the first year. Clearly Honda saw it was better left out for '04 forward, so for me, removing it would be improving it.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am thinking maybe that the was alot of crankcase oil in the air filter assembly . Maybe the element itself was wet with fuel and oil. Bike backfired once or several times enough to ignite ' but not enough to start a massive fire.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 had two carbs going up at an extreme angle.
I suspect the carb was higher than some of the fuel tank. It had a fuel pump.
My nephew had one and at 36k the FP died.
By all means, remove the 2003 1300 FP. POS...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts