Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been running rich and I need to rejet, I know. I am just curious though:

If I rejet and add the 195 jet from the dynojet kit, does this increase my air flow, thus leaning it out? The larger jet, like 210, does even more?

I am just wondering how this works.

G

·
0 Posts
jhrahn said:
My bike has been running rich and I need to rejet, I know. I am just curious though:

If I rejet and add the 195 jet from the dynojet kit, does this increase my air flow, thus leaning it out? The larger jet, like 210, does even more?

I am just wondering how this works.
When you change the jet size it only effects the fuel flow. It has nothing to do with the air flow. If you are running rich you would have to go to a smaller jet...reducing the flow of fuel.

Airflow is controled by the air intake and air filter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh shoot. I had no idea that the jets control the fuel. I have been assuming I am running rich..Smell fuel slightly when bike is running, runs better in cooler air, black soot in pipes.

Would this be normal, putting hard kromes on a bike and it is rich(no rejet)? It seems everyone else is running more lean. I have no damn idear.

G

·
0 Posts
Check your plugs...and if you're running rich and you have some extra money burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to try a K&N filter. It'll let more air into the mixture and lean it out. It could be a quick fix for your problem.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should I rejet then?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why do people rejet? since I am rich I see no reason to rejet, just need more air. Am I wrong that I am running rich? It seems uncommon, most people are too lean.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you only put on the Hard Krome pipes, no changes to the air filter and did not rejet. Is very unlikely that you are running rich. Unless you air filter is clog. How the bike feels?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It runs slightly better in cooler weather, pops a little bit, I can smell gas when I ride. Also here is a picture of the plug: Is it rich?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh? i have not rejetted and I dont know sh!t. Just need to find out what to do.

·
Registered
644 Posts
yea man your rich, theres soot on your plugs, if you were running lean they would be a red color. when the jet is just right the should be tan like a deer's [email protected]$. i would go down about 2 jet sizes and run around for about a day and check the plugs again. the electrode ceramic in the center of the plug will be a nice tan color when you get the jeting right. JMHO

Chris

·
Registered
248 Posts
jhrahn,
Your plugs look almost exactly like mine. I am also running a little rich at the higher altitudes (5000+). The bike runs ok just pops on decel. I installed HK2.5 with stock airbox and filter.

It is 3400' where I live and I do not seem to get decel pop until I clime the mountain, it gets worse the higher I go. I am going to block the pair as Johnnycheese suggested and then I may have to move the clip on the needle to find a happy medium.

Your not the only one with a rich problem....

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Check your choke, make sure is going all the way in. There has been problems with this in the past.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you have not rejetted the carb and it is stock, it doesnt have an ajustable needle, so once again check the choke, or something that might have gotten changed. Goodluck, and let us know :)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
jhrahn said:
It runs slightly better in cooler weather, pops a little bit, I can smell gas when I ride. Also here is a picture of the plug: Is it rich?

I'm no expert by any means, but the actual firing part of your plug looks good, but the area around it looks like the plug has been fouled? Too much choke? Try changing your plugs & make sure the choke is all the way pushed in & try to use it as little as possible.Also has anyone adjusted the A/F screw?........ :D Rod

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hardly use my choke at all since I live in Arizona it is pretty warm and pretty high altitude, I want to say around 3000 feet, not sure though. So what do I do? Stock airbox, filter, jets. Maybe get a k&n filter?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
can't read that plug it was fouled to start. if it is stock jetting a new set of plugs are in order and a mixture screww adjustment to start. then see what happens

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mixture screw, how do I adjust that? Ill do a search of course..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts