Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've torn my X down, waiting on a front fender which will be here next week, then the tins are off to paint.

since Honda no longer makes the Tribal Decals for the Titanium (Challenger Brown), I am stuck with having to have them hand painted if I want to return to the stock color and tribal design, which I personally love.

the paint shops I have talked to want IMO idiotic pricing to do it, north of $4,000 for OEM paint and 8 Stripes. sorry not gonna happen.

So I've decided to repaint the tins OEM Black to match the new black tank I bought. since the tank is perfect only the fenders have to be painted if I got black only.

My wife suggested some blue flames on the tank and tins, something like this:

Azure Purple Organism Art Font

I kind of like it, and she has really good taste for stuff like this, so I need to find a reasonably priced airbrush artist, or someone that can make a custom vinyl for the fenders and tank that can be placed on before the clear coat is applied. Means I have to repaint the tank, but if the pricing isn't horrible then it is doable. if it is idiotic then I will stick with straight black.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've torn my X down, waiting on a front fender which will be here next week, then the tins are off to paint.

since Honda no longer makes the Tribal Decals for the Titanium (Challenger Brown), I am stuck with having to have them hand painted if I want to return to the stock color and tribal design, which I personally love.

the paint shops I have talked to want IMO idiotic pricing to do it, north of $4,000 for OEM paint and 8 Stripes. sorry not gonna happen.

So I've decided to repaint the tins OEM Black to match the new black tank I bought. since the tank is perfect only the fenders have to be painted if I got black only.

My wife suggested some blue flames on the tank and tins, something like this:

View attachment 195036

I kind of like it, and she has really good taste for stuff like this, so I need to find a reasonably priced airbrush artist, or someone that can make a custom vinyl for the fenders and tank that can be placed on before the clear coat is applied. Means I have to repaint the tank, but if the pricing isn't horrible then it is doable. if it is idiotic then I will stick with straight black.
I haven't done this on a motorcycle part but have had things Hydro- Dipped, Were the image is floated on water and the part is presses into the design. You may want to research this Mr Increadible it just might be more economical and give you the desired design. Just a thought. I like the blue flames.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done this on a motorcycle part but have had things Hydro- Dipped, Were the image is floated on water and the part is presses into the design. You may want to research this Mr Increadible it just might be more economical and give you the desired design. Just a thought. I like the blue flames.

thanks. hadn't thought about it for the bike, I have more than a few parts on my hot-rod hydro-dipped, but they are interior. not sure how HD will hold up on exposed parts, not sure it can be clear coated over, will need to ask.

Reactions: Mechajob

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Incredible

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks HOP, I have been talking to westonink last few days to see if they can customize something similar to the OEM design but in blue flame.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
The Tattooed Ride decals pictured by HOP are a great DIY solution. Like every decal, they are way better with a clear coat over them, but if you are careful washing and waxing, they can last a long time, and look great.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

so I took your advice and found a local hydro-dipper (is that even a word?) guy has a quality portfolio and is willing to run test dips on his dime to be sure I like what I will be paying for. he is only a few miles from me and seems like a decent guy/shop.

still working out the details and pattern, but looks to be the best option for me from a cost perspective.

Reactions: Mechajob

·
Registered
158 Posts
so I took your advice and found a local hydro-dipper (is that even a word?) guy has a quality portfolio and is willing to run test dips on his dime to be sure I like what I will be paying for. he is only a few miles from me and seems like a decent guy/shop.

still working out the details and pattern, but looks to be the best option for me.
Mr Incredible, Glad it is a more inexpensive option, I understand you have other costs due to the accident so hope it helps get your ride fixed quicker and with less $$. Please let me know how it turs out and some after pictures too. Glad i could help.

Reactions: Mr. Incredible
1 - 12 of 12 Posts