Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a church sponsored mission trip to Willow, Alaska. Left TN on Thursday July 5th and returned Sat. July 14th. Did see ALOT of bikers on the Parks Hwy. (Alaska Hwy. 3), lots of BMW's and wings as well as Harley dressers, did see a few trikes. Most all were riding with all weather gear. Temps were in the 60's during the days and low 50's at nite. Daylight was 22 hours long. Odd seeing daylight at 2:00 AM!! Did take one day to drive up to the Denali National Park and visit. BEAUTIFUL area to visit if you like unspoiled areas to view. Did see some moose in the park as well as bald eagles. Was cloudy and overcast that day so we could not see Mt. McKinley that day. Did get to see the whole mt. one morning from our base area, beautiful site to see that ice/snow capped Mt., also went to the town of Talkeetna,ALASKA to vist. Small village type town where the inspiration for the TV show called Northern Exposure. Even though the acutal show was filmed in Washington state, the ideal came from this little town. Lots of float boats taking sight-seeing trips as well as delivering hunters and fishermen into the ineteriors of Alaska. Also went to Wassilla, Alaska to view the Idtiarod headquarters, rode behind some dogs on a training sled while there!! That was a unique thing to participate in. Did alot a community work for the Willow U.M. church such as cutting and delivering wood for some shut-ins of the community as well as set up shelfs and stock their food-bank and clothes bank and also did their vacation bible school for them. All 18 of us were greatly blessed on this trip as we got to see some great sites as well as mingle with the locals that live there. Long flight home, left Anchorage at 9:00 PM friday night and arrive back in Greeneville,TN 10:00 PM Sat. night. Tired as I type this, but just wanted to share that I saw ALT of Bikes and ATV's in Alaska and want to express to you that if ever given the chance to go to Alaska, GO, it is all worth it. Thanks 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Been there! What a fantastic place, I'll never forget it and hope to go back.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Plus 1 . I still check out the Fairbanks newspaper on line and some of the web cams.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
My sister and her husband are there now, she called the other day their so far in they had to take a float plane to get to the lodge but I imagine thats sop for up there. Its on my to do list when I hit the powerball. have a good one.

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
Hitchhiked up there out of high school, that's when there was 1500 miles of gravel dirt road. I long to go back up in the summer again.
Glad to hear of your mutual blessings of serving the Lord on the home front of the USA. ~M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.