Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another post earlier this week that I had a bad rear wheel bearing. My bad! :oops: The bearing that was shot is in the flange that connects into the final drive (diff). I purchased 2 replacement bearings from HDL, then went to my local dealer to have him press the old ones out, and the new ones in.
The outer bearing was OK, but the inner bearing was completely shot. In fact half of the bearings were missing, and the cage was bent.
After replacing the bearings, there is still a "clicking" on the inner bearing, we suspect that the actual flange casing is defective, which is why the first bearing failed.
My dealer is going to lodge a complaint with Honda to see if they will replace the flange even though the warranty has expired.
I'll let you all know what happens.

I would suggest that you should all have this bearing checked since this is not an isolated occurrence.

I have currently 11734 miles on my bike, this should not be happening!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Thanks for the heads up ozzie :wink:
Thats why I like to remove my own wheels. Not only does it ensure the dealer wont scratch my ride....but I can check for things like that. 8)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Handler replaced mine because they were going bad. Glad he caught it while he had them for chroming.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Snoopy said:
Is there an easy way to check these bearings short of disassembly?
_____

04 Candy red C with lots of stuff.
In short no. The wheel has to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts