Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hoping to tap this knowledge base again. I HAVE done some searching, found some info but what's weird is some of the suggested links within the posts are so old they lead to something completely different or nothing at all.

I am somewhat adept at things mechanical - I do all my own work so not a complete idiot, just partial.

I replaced my rear shock bushings yesterday - which was a breeze. Decided I should also go for the gold and replace the steering head bearings (All Balls kit) as well, since with things being what they are at the COVID moment, I have some spare time.

I may have bitten a bit more off than I can chew. I have everything apart, and realized this bearing replacement isn't as simple as I hoped, being a different style and I am guessing, much improved.

What I don't have is the special tools. I have a LOT of tools, just not the custom stuff for this job. I understand I have to knock out the upper and lower races - something I THINK I can do with what I have (tips on this welcome). The lower bearing appears to be a press on affair (as do the dust seals), can these be done without special tools (someone mentioned freezing them)?

I guess I am wondering how much of this I can get done on my own here. We're not supposed to be running around at the moment, but I do have time. Is there anything tool-wise I should order right now? It's my understanding that you don't set the torque to factory spec for these, it's more like 30 lb-ft. Do I at least need the socket? It seemed odd to me that I was able to easily remove the lock rings by hand.

Worst case scenario is putting the old bicycle bearings back in, but for obvious reasons, don't want to do that.

Sorry for the bother. Not having the greatest of days, and I figure a bunch of you have already done this. The only good news is I have time, seemingly a lot of it in the near future.

Best,

Robert

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
no special tools needed

hammer and a drift to remove old ball bearing races
hammer and wood block to install new taper roller bearing races

done.
hundreds done this way...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is what I needed to hear. Had to step away to clear my head for a bit. This is therapy right now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it my imagination or does the lower one need to be pressed on?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I use a kitchen oven or a toaster oven to heat the race to get it on...
300 degrees for 10 minutes.

oven mit and it slides on.. use a piece of wood to help it down.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hello, hoping to tap this knowledge base again. I HAVE done some searching, found some info but what's weird is some of the suggested links within the posts are so old they lead to something completely different or nothing at all.

I am somewhat adept at things mechanical - I do all my own work so not a complete idiot, just partial.

I replaced my rear shock bushings yesterday - which was a breeze. Decided I should also go for the gold and replace the steering head bearings (All Balls kit) as well, since with things being what they are at the COVID moment, I have some spare time.

I may have bitten a bit more off than I can chew. I have everything apart, and realized this bearing replacement isn't as simple as I hoped, being a different style and I am guessing, much improved.

What I don't have is the special tools. I have a LOT of tools, just not the custom stuff for this job. I understand I have to knock out the upper and lower races - something I THINK I can do with what I have (tips on this welcome). The lower bearing appears to be a press on affair (as do the dust seals), can these be done without special tools (someone mentioned freezing them)?

I guess I am wondering how much of this I can get done on my own here. We're not supposed to be running around at the moment, but I do have time. Is there anything tool-wise I should order right now? It's my understanding that you don't set the torque to factory spec for these, it's more like 30 lb-ft. Do I at least need the socket? It seemed odd to me that I was able to easily remove the lock rings by hand.

Worst case scenario is putting the old bicycle bearings back in, but for obvious reasons, don't want to do that.

Sorry for the bother. Not having the greatest of days, and I figure a bunch of you have already done this. The only good news is I have time, seemingly a lot of it in the near future.

Best,

Robert
Does anyone have all the Part Numbers for a "All Balls" bearing replacement handy???? I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,506 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a TON guys! I know it is an old subject, so appreciate the guidance. I have nothing but time right now, so I can be careful and methodical. I think I got this.

Great group, this.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Thanks a TON guys! I know it is an old subject, so appreciate the guidance. I have nothing but time right now, so I can be careful and methodical. I think I got this.

Great group, this.
as for OLD.. this steering head bearing has been an issue for all Japan designed motorcycles since the 1960's.. even early Goldwings came with the ball bearings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gentlemen,

Just a huge shout out of thanks - all set, new races and bearings in. Probably couldn't have done it without your instructions/tips. I thought you might find this amusing and/or resourceful - I had no idea how I was going to press the lower bearing in. Walked around the garage for a bit, looked like the upper part of the handle from one of my jacks might do the trick. I took the old lower race, ground it out a bit so it wouldn't get hung up on the stem taper and reversed it to protect the outer bearing, a block of wood, a hammer, and good to go.

One part left - I am waiting for the "special" socket to arrive. I figure no sense getting this far without preloading and setting to the proper spec (thanks for that pdf!). As things are these days, I'm just killing time. Figured I would clean up the front wheel and polish out the fork lowers, which are a mess (lots of pitting/corrosion).

Again, many, many thanks.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts

Best,

Robert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts