Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the nasty weather season is here, those of us who commute daily and those who like to get out and ride on weekends throughout the winter are continuously searching for the best gear possible. Back in the northeast it is cold, here in the NW it is somewhat cold but mostly wet.

What are we ideally looking for. I'm not talking here about the Harley clone uniform, trying to look like a hard case or a 1%'er, I'm talking about functional riding gear to protect our asses in all weather conditions, for those who ride daily.

I started with cordura, Joe Rocket, which was well made but not waterproof enough. After seeing how much it got scraped up in an accident (it did its job of protecting my hide though), I switched to leather, which I have to cover with rain gear when it is wet out. I don't think we can make leather waterproof enough for riding day in day out in rain, so it is back to synthetics.

What we need:
1. Two piece design. Ever sat in a good restaurant with the top of a one piece wrapped around your waist?

2. All season capability through real waterproof design, good venting for the hot weather and liners for the cold weather.

3. Visability. Needs retroreflective panels and some bright colors.

4. Good protection for those parts of our bodies we tend to scrape on the roadway.

5. Lastly, though not as important if the above are fully satisfied, reasonable cost.

So guys and gals, what is out there which fills the bill? Lets all share our knowledge and experiences.

Thanks in advance. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,074 Posts
Hey BilDal how about adding your location to you profile so we know what area your from ? Seems a lot of members don't have anything in their profile. Just a suggestion. Its kind of important when your talking things like weather and such being you could be in Alaska or Florida. LOL !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,886 Posts
I had been using my synthetic jacket and pants but have been testing some repellent products on my leathers. I started off with the Nikwax conditioner/repellent and finished with the Aqueous wax. So far I am impressed. Either way Bill you'll have to reload your clothes with repellent.

Ride safe, Ride on Bro!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wavtx said:
I had been using my synthetic jacket and pants but have been testing some repellent products on my leathers. I started off with the Nikwax conditioner/repellent and finished with the Aqueous wax. So far I am impressed. Either way Bill you'll have to reload your clothes with repellent.

Ride safe, Ride on Bro!
Hi Al,

What synthetic outfit have you been using and how well does it meet all the criteria I listed in the first post. I know your daily commute is a lot longer than mine, if it works for you it should work for me. Sounds though as if you are still looking for the perfect solution too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,886 Posts
BilDal said:
wavtx said:
I had been using my synthetic jacket and pants but have been testing some repellent products on my leathers. I started off with the Nikwax conditioner/repellent and finished with the Aqueous wax. So far I am impressed. Either way Bill you'll have to reload your clothes with repellent.

Ride safe, Ride on Bro!
Hi Al,

What synthetic outfit have you been using and how well does it meet all the criteria I listed in the first post. I know your daily commute is a lot longer than mine, if it works for you it should work for me. Sounds though as if you are still looking for the perfect solution too.

Hey Bill,

I'm wearing a Moto Line jacket. It's about 5 yrs old now and in great shape. Back then, Aerostitch fabric was pretty much top line. It's initial repellent load was ScotchKote. The pants are Ballistic, same age. They work great and are warm and keep me dry. Both have to be recharged periodically.

Been trying some new stuff on my leathers as I mentioned. Been happy so far.

Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I'm very interested in this also, for I love to ride.
I'm a firm believer in leather jacket for around town use. Short trips.
On long trips a textile jacket and pants add alot of protection from cold, rains, debris tossed by trucks, etc.
Use the Honda nylon race jacket, which is longer waisted than most short jackets. Bought a pair of Gortex BMW riding pants and added suspenders to keep them up.
A Gohring electric vest, very good leather snowboarding gloves with rain overmittens and most of me is taken care of.
Just don't know about the boots. Or on a 38 deg. F. day with rain, how my hands would hold up.
I do believe the real search should be on good fairing for my VTX, and some kind of fairing/shield around the radiator/engine that gets the legs and feet out of the wind, rain, and cold.
Don't believe any windshield /lowers units will do it.
Rich S.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retro Rocket said:
Hey BilDal how about adding your location to you profile so we know what area your from ? Seems a lot of members don't have anything in their profile. Just a suggestion. Its kind of important when your talking things like weather and such being you could be in Alaska or Florida. LOL !

Thanks for the reminder Retro, just took care of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
I'm in Northern Va, and try to commute daily, except when it's icy out. So far, my Tourmaster Cortech 3/4 jacket and overpants have done an excellent job of keeping me very warm and very dry. The jacket has a bunch of vents, as well as a very thick and removable liner. There's armor in the jacket and pants.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
For the feet, if you have an engine guard, you could try to find an insert that fills the space between the guard and the frame. That should block most of the wind/rain. My brother has a similar set-up on his Ultra Classic and says it works almost flawlessly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Been Using Aerostich two piece 'Roadcrafter' suit for over 10 years. Excellent all-weather riding from <30F to about 85F (with as much if not more protection than leathers). Those crazy bastards who ride all winter in Minnesota can't be wrong :wink: .

www.aerostich.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,886 Posts
lucky said:
Been Using Aerostich two piece 'Roadcrafter' suit for over 10 years. Excellent all-weather riding from <30F to about 85F (with as much if not more protection than leathers). Those crazy bastards who ride all winter in Minnesota can't be wrong :wink: .

www.aerostich.com
Those are great suits. I know one guy who uses one. That would be my next suit when the time comes. They are pricey but definetely worth it.

Bill, check those out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
lucky said:
Been Using Aerostich two piece 'Roadcrafter' suit for over 10 years. Excellent all-weather riding from <30F to about 85F (with as much if not more protection than leathers).
That's the thing, though. I can't imagine any one product that would work from 10F to 110F which is about what I'd have to deal with. I've thought about Moto Cool Stuff for texas summers, but I just can't make myself believe that adding more clothing really will keep me cooler. Has anyone here actually used this stuff?

Thanks,
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
:? You are right...hard to find gear for that extreme temperature range (10-110F). For my money Aerostich suits come the closest. For me anything >85F is uncomfortable unless I'm flying down the road. Any temperature <30 for extended times may also require a heated vest or jacket insert with excellent gloves. I have not mentioned feet but Combat touring boots from Sidi and a goretex/neoprene sock combination have done the trick in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents...
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the Aerostitch 2 piece suit tonight. They sure are spendy, but I assume I will get my money's worth by wearing them everyday :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I agree with VTXnVG!

I also have Tourmaster Cortech 3/4 Jacket and love it a ton.Water proof ,armor thats removable.Vents o-plenty and Liner.Rode last March in Michigan when it was low 20s,no problem.But then I also snowmobile in the Upper Peninsula of MI when the wind chills are -40 F.With the right stuff(don't be afraid to spend the bucks)you can ride when others are still dreaming about it!
Pick up my 04 NEO tomorrow,MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!
JOPEYE :pepper1: :lol: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Retro Rocket,
I couldn't find a site that has a set of chaps for Paladin bars, but MotoLeather has them for Lindby, Cobra and MC Enterprises guards. Perhaps if you email them, they could fabricate a set for you. You could be the first to get a set and start a new trend in cold weather riding.
Sorry it took so long to reply, haven't visited the general board in a few days. Hope this helps a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Speedo and sandals are perfect when temps are above 90° F.
Tee shirt, shorts and tennies good for riding temps round 75° F.
The leather jacket and chaps are good down to about 34° F, you know.
In January up here most of us put away our chaps and pull out the snowmobile suit, Then there is hand warmers and electric socks we don't use these till it is 15° below zero, after that you get brain freeze and some of us put back on the speedo and cut a hole thru the ice and take a dip to cool down, and 40° below zero we sit in a heated ice house, drink beer and fish for walleye. Hey gib me a nutter beea!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top