Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride as defensive as I am capable, which is quite a bit :grin2:,but today was a surprise.
We all know about the car waiting on the side street or median to cut in front of us at the last second, slowing a bit anticipating them to jump out. This was different. They were in the median, I am seeing them, slowing, then there is the point of comfort for me that the danger zone is past, and I was almost even with the car. Just then they came out in my lane a fraction, I was on the right side of the lane, and they hit the brake just before hitting my left leg. I reacted by lifting my leg to get out of the way. Hard to prepare for that one!! Be frigin careful.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
median,,, anytime a car is in the median... its a danger.. moving or not..
its not legal to be there anyway.

consider..
MSF, advanced rider course.

1 day super bike school.
3 day super bike school.

you would be surprised many things for the race track is useful on the streets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Holy smoke! Lane position and due caution paid off in that case for sure. Glad you made it out OK. Thanks for telling about your experience. It's a good reminder for all of us.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is a crapshoot. The best we can do is all we can do. I am sure that luck enters into the equation as well. Maurice, do you think the driver who nearly turned into you was turning early so he could get across the road before the vehicle following you got too close? Lately here in FL I have experienced several drivers that start their left turn just before go by. In fact it happened today and if I had my wits about me, I would have laid on the horn as I approached and went by him.

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
Glad your ok....I ride like I’m 72 years old...:grin2:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Riding a motorcycle is a crapshoot. The best we can do is all we can do. I am sure that luck enters into the equation as well. Maurice, do you think the driver who nearly turned into you was turning early so he could get across the road before the vehicle following you got too close? Lately here in FL I have experienced several drivers that start their left turn just before go by. In fact it happened today and if I had my wits about me, I would have laid on the horn as I approached and went by him.
It makes sense that was the reason even though no one was behind me. I stopped at the traffic light, turned back to look at the SOB, and he was just coming out, no one was behind me when almost hit. He was just in a hurry, and did not see me with me right there!

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
I try to give my bike a wiggle in most cases like that. Just something to move my headlight around a bit to help them take notice. I don't have a strobing light on this bike like I did on the last two before it. Something I should probably remedy.

Glad you're ok!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tucson is a tough place to ride in that there is no police enforcement. They are still mad that we took the red light cameras away and they lost a boat-load of revenue. Consequently, they only show up for accidents but have yet to figure out that directing traffic, at accident scenes, might be a good idea.

You are on your own out here with very little protection. Only your skills. Glad you came out unscathed.

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
One of the hazards of MC riding. Are you visible?? Aux lighting on?? Head light only, use high beam during the day. We have many 3 lane roads, the median becomes a turning lane for either direction. At intersections it become a dedicated turning lane.. Look out for danger.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
... did not see me with me right there!....
This happens far too often, cagers do not see MCs. They are looking for vehicles, anything smaller doesn't register and often times when they are looking straight at us - looking but not seeing, or looking and seeing but it not registering in their brain. Knowing this, and riding prepared for it has spared me many close calls.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Had a bike totaled from a lady coming head on in the median not looking. I was stopped with blinker on. Stepped off bike as she ran over it an not even look or slow down. Was over a year before I got another bike. She had no insurance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice video Doc. It really helps to do all that we can to make ourselves more visable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I try to give my bike a wiggle in most cases like that. Just something to move my headlight around a bit to help them take notice. I don't have a strobing light on this bike like I did on the last two before it. Something I should probably remedy.

Glad you're ok!
Good idea about the wiggle. I will remember that. thanks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Glad you could see it coming, that's not an easy skill but is very useful.
With all the texting morons, self-important selfie dumbasses and just plain incompetent retards on the roads operating deadly weapons, we gotta be the smart ones.
I've had a few close calls like that and always thanked my brain for being smarter than those murderous eftards.
I used to love driving when I was young and lived out in the country. Now that any driving involves congested roadways, I hate driving. It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

Stay alive, y'all. Don't let the inbred morons win!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little wig wag helps, too! Put a wig wag circuit on my driving lights back in 05 or 06. Only had two people pull in front of me since then. Not legal in many states, including where I live. But every cop I’ve talked to says he’d never cite me for it. One even gave me his card and said to have any cop who does to call him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts