Honda VTX Forum banner

Alpine KTP-445U, Kenwood Head Unit & 4 Polks Db 521's

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  PanHandler 
#1 ·
Hello, has anyone had this combination before and during the install had a problem with deciding on using 2 channels or 4 on the Alpine Amp?

#2 ·
The 2 or 4 decision will depend if the head unit has 2 or 4 preamp outputs. If you are putting the 4 speakers in a fairing there is not sound benefit to running 4 channels as you will not hear a difference like you would inside of a car when the speakers have more physical separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well, My installer went with the 4 Channel option before I got your response. I don't know much about the benefits of my installer choosing the 4 channel option but it plays, would it play better with just the 2 channels. This is a very gray area of knowledge for me.

#5 ·
A little late, but just in case it's still bugging you, the 2/4ch DIP switch is to tell the amp how many channels (inputs) you have coming IN to the amp, it'll always send 4 channels out for 4 speakers. Many radios only have 2 line level (RCA) outputs for an amp so folks would have to use the high level (speaker wire outputs) to send an amp 4 channels. For best sound, the RCAs are the way to go. For a bike application with 4 speakers in a fairing there's no need to have/use a fader control because with all the speakers the same distance from your ears you'd end up with the fade (and balance too, for that matter) set at zero anyway. With a 4 speaker fairing, if your radio has only 2 RCAs you just plug them into the KTP's front inputs and set the DIP switch to 2ch, and it'll send out 2 left and 2 right outputs. Or use a pair of 1>2 "Y" adapters to split the two radio line outs to 2 pair of them, pug into the four amp inputs and select 4ch on the DIP. There will be no difference in sound either way and no fade control since there's still just the 2 radio outputs.
If you're using a 2-speaker fairing with a pair of lowers or trunk speakers you'd want to have the fade control on the radio functional i.e LF/RF/LR/RR inputs and outputs. You'll want to have 4 channels input (hopefully RCA line-in) and set the amp to 4ch input. It'll send out 4 ch and they'll be coming out as sent in (fader%) so you can adjust the front to back ratio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.