Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a supertrunk from a member here a littleways back and I have always had issues with the cheap latches..made in china and a very poor design for longevity IMHO.

TINY diameter bolts threaded into a cheap casting.....

I open and close the trunk 5 times a day, so I know that is a lot of wear and tear --- but if the hardware were thicker and stringer, and the casting wasnt so cheap it would hold up better.

The last time, the casting itself broke. I bought a new set of latches to replace. This time one of them stripped out at the bolts in the castings......

Anyone ever see a better solution? Pics attached of my current ones. The HD brand latches look the same...made in china I assume too.....and three times the price. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, those do look pretty much the same.
I bought HD latches on E-Bay for my last trunk project.
Just looked, and you can get just the latch portion for $8.50 and the whole latch ass'y for $20.00, free shipping. Doesn't seem to be all that prohibitive.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, those do look pretty much the same.
I bought HD latches on E-Bay for my last trunk project.
Just looked, and you can get just the latch portion for $8.50 and the whole latch ass'y for $20.00, free shipping. Doesn't seem to be all that prohibitive.
Yeah I have seen those on ebay...but they are not the ones that LOCK......the supertrunk "brand" latches that look the same also lock. I need that.

Not to mention, they seem to fail at the worst possible time.......very inconvenient....and the spacer block is also lost......would like to find some better , more robust way to latch.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Oops, didn't see the key opening. My bad.
I've never looked for the locking ones....
Good luck, I hope you find something more reliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts