Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any products out there that offer an alternative power suplly for our X's? I have a CD player with a cigarette lighter adapter that I would love to be able to plug into the bike somewhere instead of relying on batteries. Would something like this be possible given the bike's electric output?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Power Adapters

Couple of ways to handle this. For my MyFi XM radio I put a lighter socket inline with my light bar in the headlight bucket. Ran the MyFi cig adapter along the handler bar cable run. You will have just enough room in the Headlight bucket to do this. Many other options from this site. http://www.powerletproducts.com/index.php?mid=0

To run a radio or GPS you will not run into any power issues assuming you do not have a bunch of other aftermarket stuff connected.

This thread explains the power draw and how close the amps are.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... =amp+total

/Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - thanks for the reply. So did you hard-wire the cigarette lighter cord that came with your XM and cut the adapted piece off of the end and ran the wires into the power source you're using to run your lightbar? Since I don't have a light bar, what other power source could I run power off of without disrupting anything?

Thanks for your help. If I do something like you did, I shouldn't need anything from that website although they do have some cool looking parts there!

Andy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill - BTW, do you have the Delphi MiFi? I didn't want this thread to turn into a XM Satelite conversation but that is the unit I want to plug in if I get it - that's why I was asking . . .
How does the unit work for you on the road? How do you have it attached to the bike? Velcro or something? And if you ran it down the length of the handlebar, how does it look? Wonder if there's a way to get the cord inside the handlebar to headlight like the run the cables and brake lines on some bikes. . . a lot of work!

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bare - I'll print that post out so when/if I end up getting this XM thing, I'll hardwire it. I wouldn't mind hardwiring a cigarette lighter plug to the bike somewhere so I can plug a variety of things in if I want to instead of being limited to whatever cord you hardwire. . .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not to knock HDL but you can get 6 circuit fuse blocks like the one above for about $10 at most auto parts stores. I'm using one for my lights and it works fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Power Source.

Do not cut the end off the MyFi power adapter. This piece has the 12>5 volt converter in it. The Myfi runs off a 5 volt power source unlike its predecessors that ran off of 6 volt. I used a female cig adapter in the head light buck. The power for this was my light bar power source. Plug in the MyFi DC adapter then run the wire out the back of the bucket up the bars to you MyFi. You can route this in the handle bar but that is another project. My MyFi is mounted on a Gadget mount system similar to a RAM system. It has a piece the bolts right to the brake reservoir. I use the belt clip that attack to the flush car mount bracket. The flush mount that came with the MyFi sucks get one from a Roady2 much better design and allows the belt clip to lock on very tight. I also attached a antenna mount it is a small powder coated plate that fits behind the flush mount. This is a picture of my Roady2 but you get the idea.

Bare ideas are great for power sources. I was to lazy to run wires under the tank back to the battery.

Gadget Mounting HW.

Roady2 flush mount.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ditto on Bare, I have one on mine, use it to run my 'lectric gloves, aux running lights (via relay), and aux dual-horns (also via relay). It's a very clean and safe way of providing extra power points, rather than tying everying to the batt + lead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
FYI

wccoman said:
Are there any products out there that offer an alternative power suplly for our X's? I have a CD player with a cigarette lighter adapter that I would love to be able to plug into the bike somewhere instead of relying on batteries. Would something like this be possible given the bike's electric output?

Thanks
If a service manual were available I'd check the intended circuit you want to draw from, unless you’re going to follow Bares recommendation. I've heard horror stories from those that have fried various circuits or switches, simply because they didn't know existing circuit draw or the impact the intended 3rd party product would have. :oops:
Better safe than sorry. JMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.