Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Had one of my Leatherlyke bags* recently took a nasty crack at the mounting point and I'm shopping for new bags.

Have you used or see anyone use aluminum side cases on a VTX? Most I find are designed for sport-touring bikes and may require custom mounts. I kinda like the rugged, durable look, with massive storage & accessory potential. The large box shape would be great for things like grocery bags, compared to the round curves & slanted shapes of many popular cruiser hard bags. Still, the
but it might juxtapose a bit on a VTX. My Leatherlykes were boxy and it very functional but wasn't as 'pretty' as the curvy bags (e.g. Tsukayu, Saddlemen, Viking...).

So far I've looked at these online and haven't found any mention of them on the forums:
  • Givi Outback Trekker 48L
  • SW-Motech TraX Adventure Alu-box & EVO Alu-box, 45L
  • Hepco & Becker's Alu-Case Xplorer 40L
  • Tusk large adventure aluminum dual sport

Features I'm looking for in a pair of bags: 1) Must be key lockable, preferably with an integrated lock (not a padlock), 2) Bigger is better with 40 liter each bag as my baseline, 3) Very large opening so easily I can stow things like my armor jacket, 4) Quick release option

Any thoughts & product suggestions are appreciated!
*Looks like Leatherlyke is or will soon be out of business. Bummer.

Thanks!
Shawn

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I saw one of the members on here, awhile back, that had modified Gold Wing bags and put them on their X. It was pretty sharp looking, but not sure they would be big enough for what you are wanting. It might be an option to look at though.
Safe Riding.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't think aluminum luggage would look very good on a VTX.

I have a Givi trunk on my ST-1300 and I had a set of three on my Honda V-65 Sabre. I think they are very nice looking. More importantly, they hold quite a bit, are water tight, and very rugged. They are also easily removed after being unlocked. I had to make my own mounting brackets for the saddlebags on the Sabre.

I don't know how they would look on a VTX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts