Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new light bar installed last week. Yesterday went for a long jaunt up to Linville Falls and the Blue Ridge Parkway. When I went through the first of many tunnels, I noticed it sure seemed dark.....and sure enough, I had no headlight/lightbar. Then it started to rain like crazy, then hail. And there I am with no lights. I finally made it to Asheville and the fine people at MR Motorcycles, who opened it up and discovered that the stealer in Charlotte had wired the light bar incorrectly, thus the blown main fuse. Also discovered that they had used scotchlocks instead of soldering the wires. Now I get to go back to the stealer and see if they'll make it right.

Kudos to MR Motorcyles of Asheville.....very professional service department!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Do like a lot of us here have done; buy a service manual & roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. BTW most of the dealerships pale in comparison next to the combined knowledge of this board & its many fine members :!:
.............................................. :D Rod

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but every time I've rolled up my sleeves with anything electrical, I ended up having to pay someone to undo the damage

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can sympathize with you... I had a recent experience with a light bar installed by the Stealer. First, they ordered an incorrect lightbar and told me a lightbar could not be installed with a windshield. I did my homework and knew that was pure BS. (I told them which one to order but they did not follow my instructions) Finally, after 3 tries they ordered the correct lightbar per my simple instructions. When I went to pickup the bike, the blinkers did not work and there was a large scratch on my headlight housing. They forgot for connect one of the ground wires for the blinker and had to order me a new headlight housing to replace the one they scratched. Also, they Zip-Tied the wiring to the outside of the lght bar instead of running the wires inside the pipe. All in all, a very dissappointing experience. I just did't want to hassle with the electrical aspect and thought they would do a better job. I was wrong. From now on, I'm going to do as much as I can myself.

My next potentially hand-wringing experience is to replace my tires ( I have spoked rims). I can't decide if I should take the entire bike in to them for the new tires, or only bring them in the wheels for tire mounting. I'm afraid they are gonna scratch my rims or re-install them incorrectly if I give them the whole bike.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey Scotto, take the wheels off and take them to a shop

·
Registered
392 Posts
jrlambright:

My thought exactly. I need to find a "shop" that will mount the tires and install the tubes that I purchased somewhere else. I'd be willing to pay the shop's reasonable margin for tires as long as it's "reasonable". My primary interest is to find a shop that will Mount the tires without scratching or damaging the rims. 2. Assure proper Balance and Tru-ing of the wheel.

BTW... id anyone does of a decent shop to get bike tries mounted I live in Landenberg, PA which is very close to Wilmington, Delaware. Thanks !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts