Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that's how car insurance works but let's say I want to buy a bike and take it for a ride. Am I covered by my own insurance policy?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Everyone can say yes you are, but it only matters what the insurance company says. If it is the same as your car insurance, you could logically think yes they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Please call your insurance company..

I am now a retired mechanic .. but I had add-on insurance...
for any car or motorcycle I drove/rode was covered..
just in case my employer had poor coverage on me as an employee.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AS Chuck said; Call Your Agent! What anyone here THINKS is inconsequential.
Very true. What I have never figured out is whether the policy covers the driver or the vehicle. I have heard both. That's why when you rent a car, you can use your own insurance and decline theirs. But then I know of cases where the children got into an accident driving their parent's car and insurance covered it, although it was the policy holder who got dinged.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Very true. What I have never figured out is whether the policy covers the driver or the vehicle. I have heard both. That's why when you rent a car, you can use your own insurance and decline theirs. But then I know of cases where the children got into an accident driving their parent's car and insurance covered it, although it was the policy holder who got dinged.
Call progressive and ask, toll free number. Why try to guess? Progressive helped me when i recently called, good company. :)

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
The owner of the bike insures the bike and if owner gives you permission to ride it it's on them.
Up here it's quite common for the bike owner to have the test rider sign a waiver, and retain ID and car keys until the bike is returned. The waiver includes 2 things;
1) the test rider is responsible for any and all damage incurred by him/her.
2) the bike's owner and insurance is freed from any responsibility in the case of injury to the test rider, or any liability/property damage (PL/PD) during the test ride.

IOW, the bike is, for all intents and purposes, uninsured at that point. Most dealerships will not even let you take a bike for a test ride. Harley dealers are an exception as many will allow it, with a dealer plate to cover liability.

A buddy of mine rented a Harley in Hawaii several years back from a rental agency. He low sided it and it went down over an edge, falling many feet into the rhubarb. He now owned a wrecked $18K USD Road King. Car insurance didn't cover it, and like a dummy, saved a few bucks waiving the insurance package, assuming he was covered by his car insurance. He kept the bike and fixed it, as that was cheaper than buying a new one, but wasn't really happy about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts