Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals...

I have read lots of posts on here so far regarding clattering valves, solid lifters, etc...

I bought my VTX about 2 weeks ago..it's an 06, but had 0 miles on it. Right away I noticed an annoying chatter in the engine...at first, I thought it was some of the extras that were put on the bike that was making the noise...ie, the chrome radiator cover...but that wasn't it.

I've ridden V-twins most of my adult life, but have never noticed such a racket....this isn't a lifter tick we're talking about here...it's an outright rattle...

When I maintain speed, I don't hear it...when I "SLIGHTLY" accelerate, I hear the rattle....this can't be normal...

Am I paranoid or do I just need some louder pipes...

HELLLLLLLLLLLLP....

HERBO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS....what do I have to do so that when I post on here, a picture of my bike will go with it....

Just so ya know...yes, I do have pictures of it...

thx,
Herbo

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could be speedo rattle. Other folks have had issues with the front fender rattling, and my buddy has an issue with one of his spokes actually rattling on his S model.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
You eaither have the headlight rattle, fix seen on the VTXOA Garage site, http://tech.vtxoa.com
Or the speedo/dash rattle. Put you hand on the dash on the tank see if that stops it. If it does, take the 3 screws off the dash closest to the seat and get some rubber o-rings from ACE Hardware and put them on the screws between the dash and the tank.
How to post pictures is found on the Support And Testing board
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=66

·
Registered
622 Posts
I got an 06 new for fathers day, I noticed the valve or engine chatter under load also. At the 600 mile service done at 800 I switched to full synthetic oil and had the Dynojet kit installed because I had installed the cobra speedster pipes day before. Chatter gone. I chalked it up to the valve adjustment after breaking time and the synthetic oil change over.

But check the items the board members suggested they know a lot more than me :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Herbo wrote ... "Am I paranoid"

Yes. The X is the loudest, chatteringest, clanking, banging, racket makingest $7000 sewing machine I've ever been close to. It is, at the same time, the best motorcycle value on the road. :shock:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'll describe the noise pretty quiet from a cold startup but after it warms up 15 minutes It RATTLES under load let off the throttle slightly it dissapears load related doesnt matter what gear you are in premium gas does nothing synthetic oil will quiet it some i have been around some that are quiet and a couple that are real noisy like mine i started hearing it at 500 miles it has gotton louder since 15,000 now when i did the valves i noticed a couple of rockers had lots more side play than others??? no spec in manual i could find for this i also have what i would consider excessive primary/balancer/clutch basket gear clearances contributing to the large amount of noise coming from the trans/balancer area so far on oil analysis it shows no problems so i just try to ignore it and ride

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Pipes and an mp3 player and you'll be a smilin' down the road. 8) 8) :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Me too

I also just bought an 06 R about two weeks ago, just took it in on Tuesday for 600 mile service and told them about the same noise you're talking about they said they heard it checked valves and said everything is ok just the nature of the beast. I don't know if I fully believe that, let me know if you hear any different. I also just did the Clayton mod last night, sounds great but still hear the rattle.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Re: Me too

Bullfrog75 said:
I also just bought an 06 R about two weeks ago, just took it in on Tuesday for 600 mile service and told them about the same noise you're talking about they said they heard it checked valves and said everything is ok just the nature of the beast. I don't know if I fully believe that, let me know if you hear any different. I also just did the Clayton mod last night, sounds great but still hear the rattle.
Trust me, it's OK. Just follow the links for the speedo rattle and headlight rattle and all will be good...the harder you ride it the happier it and you will be. :wink: 8)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Along the lines of this deal......

I don't know what's going on with the fuel lately...but i was on a run with my bike two days ago..and i noticed mine was rattling.....it was detonation/pre-ignition....i leaned down, lugged it and ping ping ping. This is the first time it's pinged (only has about 3,000 miles on it) and i suspect it's fuel blending from the refineries.

They do blend fuel different for hot/cold, etc..etc. Or it could be we're getting some old fuel (old fuel looses quality FAST) all of a sudden, who knows...but i do know mine was pinging the other day and it's the first time.

Well....i'll start using premium starting with this next tank full. I suspect we're getting junk fuel for the biggo price.

I bet we start noticing a lot of difference in the quality of our fuel here real soon!!! You cars (well the modern computer controlled ones anyway..) Have knock sensors that tell the ECM to pull back the timing when it hears pinging (before you will) so all you notice in your cars is a little performance difference and go on your way...well these bikes don't have that (or they'd all be running -45 atdc all the time 'cause they are noisey to begin with..LOL) so we actually can hear the pinging.

Anyways....just another take on it. If you think it's pinging (pre-ignition or detonation...which ARE different by the way)definitely upgrade your fuel and see if it goes away. Because.....either form of the "rattling" if it is the motor can damage parts....pre-ignition/detonation is not good.

(I'd also cehck the things the guys here have mentioned...but if it IS the motor, get some good fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
Along the lines of this deal......

I don't know what's going on with the fuel lately...but i was on a run with my bike two days ago..and i noticed mine was rattling.....it was detonation/pre-ignition....i leaned down, lugged it and ping ping ping. This is the first time it's pinged (only has about 3,000 miles on it) and i suspect it's fuel blending from the refineries.

They do blend fuel different for hot/cold, etc..etc. Or it could be we're getting some old fuel (old fuel looses quality FAST) all of a sudden, who knows...but i do know mine was pinging the other day and it's the first time.

Well....i'll start using premium starting with this next tank full. I suspect we're getting junk fuel for the biggo price.

I bet we start noticing a lot of difference in the quality of our fuel here real soon!!! You cars (well the modern computer controlled ones anyway..) Have knock sensors that tell the ECM to pull back the timing when it hears pinging (before you will) so all you notice in your cars is a little performance difference and go on your way...well these bikes don't have that (or they'd all be running -45 atdc all the time 'cause they are noisey to begin with..LOL) so we actually can hear the pinging.

Anyways....just another take on it. If you think it's pinging (pre-ignition or detonation...which ARE different by the way)definitely upgrade your fuel and see if it goes away. Because.....either form of the "rattling" if it is the motor can damage parts....pre-ignition/detonation is not good.

(I'd also cehck the things the guys here have mentioned...but if it IS the motor, get some good fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!)
I don't think you'll find old gas at any stations...I'll bet the average lifespan of a gallon of gas is less than 30 days. That's why the price is so high...demand. If they had huge storage areas of fuel it would be cheaper. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate all of you guys' input...

I'm taking it to the dealer to get the first service on it this weekend. The pipes suggestion is a definite, but just a little further down the road.

I just wanted to make sure that this noise wasn't specific to "my" bike only....you know how you always wonder if you're going to end up with a lemon...

Still tons of power and riding enjoyment.....I'll let you guys know if anything changes...

Again, thanks for the response..

Herbo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=684966&imageID=8295700&MyToken=f10577ae-c8a0-43b8-bab9-0cda05a32e16

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I agree that you may not find old fuel. However, you may find statons selling low quality fuel. I have a vtx and a Harley. My vtx will run good on almost any fuel-I do get some rattling from time to time- but the Harley is picking. I use high test in the harley and I must use fuel from specfic dealers. Some may run low on the hight test but not sell that much so they dump mid grade or regular in the tank. This is a fact. If you live in a big city were many use high test this may not be the case.
Honda makes great bikes and they will go go and go. They will last for many many miles- 100,000 miles is common. The vtx is a noisy engine.
dd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was one thing I failed to mention...I've used nothing but premium fuel since the first tank...

btw...I've been trying to add my pic..per the instructions....no luck...then again, I'm on a mac....I hate this thing..

Anyway...

Herbo

·
Registered
164 Posts
I notice mine will sound the same if I accidentally leave the choke out a bit once it is warmed up. That is when I notice I did not get it pushed in all the way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mem-X said:
Herbo wrote ... "Am I paranoid"

Yes. The X is the loudest, chatteringest, clanking, banging, racket makingest $7000 sewing machine I've ever been close to. It is, at the same time, the best motorcycle value on the road. :shock:
That would be ANGRY SEWING MACHINE

:twisted:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts