Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many reviews of the 2003 1300 and man do they slam it is it all that bad?? It looks like a kick A$$ bike. I just sold 2 shadows 1986 700 with 76K and a 1983 750 with 127k I hope if i do buy the 1300 VTX I will enjoy is as much or more. (yes I bought them bot brand new)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What reviews are you reading? I've only read good reviews.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
nh_teddy said:
I have read many reviews of the 2003 1300 and man do they slam it is it all that bad?? It looks like a kick A$$ bike. I just sold 2 shadows 1986 700 with 76K and a 1983 750 with 127k I hope if i do buy the 1300 VTX I will enjoy is as much or more. (yes I bought them bot brand new)
Welcome to the board, any links to these reviews? I'm interested, but just to let you know, I LOVE my 04 S

·
Registered
221 Posts
WHO said What! I love my X!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
In about 3 1/2 months I'll have had my 1300 for three years. No major
complaints. Just change the stock seat.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have sat on alot of the new ones and think the 1300 looks kick A$$. Tomorrow i am going to look at the orange beast and I hope i will bring it home I am glad I found this site and forum alot of very good info posted here. 8)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Re: here is one that doesn't make the bike seem too pleasing

nh_teddy said:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/vtx13s/
Ride one. Decide for yourself what you like better. That magazines reviewers have been known for showing bias towards Kawasaki.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have read many reviews of the 2003 1300
You need to read more reviews...

The same guy that slammed them in the review you read, made it pretty
clear he didn't think much of the 1800 either, but in that mag's first test of
the 1800, he gave the distinct impression the thought very highly of it.

Either this guy keeps changing his mind, or his idea of being impartial
means praising a bike in one article, then sneering at it in the next.

My brother has a 1300. He thinks it's great. He loves it. How dare you
question his credibility?????!!!!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: here is one that doesn't make the bike seem too pleasing

nh_teddy said:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/vtx13s/
I can see how a newbie might take that article as a negative. Most of it was just an article comparing the differences between the 1800 and the 1300's. They didn't happen to mention the fine low speed balance and the stability when cruising down the road on the 1300's, at least the S Model.

In truth, yes, the VTX1300's have some character flaws. What bike doesn't? There is some clattering that goes on inside the engine and the transmission is noisy shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st although that is part of the price for VERY robust straight cut gears, ala race cars, and you can beat on this thing all day like an anvil. Yes, there is some vibration from the engine but it is a PLEASANT low frequency vibration rather than the annoying buzziness of a 4 cylinder. I find it almost soothing and my wife nearly goes to sleep on the pillion seat sometimes. Don't take the single crankpin versus a dual crankpin as a negative. It is that design which produces a "more proper" motorcycle sound. Slow too start??? I don't think so unless they've forgotten what a choke is for. Maybe a little slower to warm up without an occasional stumble than the fuel injected VTX 1800 but I've found the carburetion to be spot on. Quick to touch down a foot peg or floorboard??? Yeah, I scraped one once in 11,500 kilometers of riding. This is a cruiser, not a sportbike! Lots of plastic chrome??? Yeah, so?? Mine still looks new after two years. I personally don't run around feeling these things and going, ooh, ahh, it's metal. Fact is, modern plastic components will take more abuse than metal and they're generally cheaper to replace as well as lighter.

Don't forget, these guys test bikes for a living so they are more jaded and aware of every strength and weakness amongst the various brands. They like 1500 Kawasaki's? Fine. I too think the Kawasaki Nomad offers a lot of features at a good price. But they didn't mention the Honda 1300 will blow them off the road (not that the VTX1300 is a scarry fast bike). Any 600cc sportbike will waste any cruiser, except perhaps, the Harley V-Rod and Yamaha V-Max.

Bottom line. Buy what YOU like, not what somebody else likes. But try to get yourself a test ride before buying. There are lots of choices out there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Teddy, I just put my 1300 up on the 1300 classified board. You can check it out if you want. When you ride one you'll love it, and it sounds GREAT.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought my used 03' VTX 1300S Retro in Dec 04 and have had nothing but joy riding it. I was out of biking for about 15 years and jumped on this thing and felt comfortable in minium time (I always do a sanity check before turning the key and pressing the ignition button so I don't do something stupid). Overall this bike makes me feel like I'm living my life, on my own terms.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
816 Posts
nh_teddy said:
i have an 03 and it's great! here's an review article i read that got me interested.

http://motorcycledaily.com/08april02hon ... x1300.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
1300 VTX

I have a 2004 for sale if your interested call me 734-637-1210. I have about $4500.00 in options and it's a great price. The bike has 3500 miles.
Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts