Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about where to get Amsoil. I take it from several threads I've read that it's not sold in stores, mailorder only ..... is this correct.

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Why bother? Thse bikes don't require you spend that kind of money on them. Shell Rotella T is what I use. It exceeds standards and you can buy it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
alot of motocycle shops are selling it over the counter now, at least in my area. (houston tx) might check around.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I bought mine through the Amsoil site. Prompt delivery. A bit pricey, but worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There are several members (NCBrew, Chicago Spike & myself) that are dealers for Amsoil, it's shipped right to your door

If you choose to order, please do so through one of our web sites so we get the credit

Thanks

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I always hear folks complaining about Amsoil "availability"

It's shipped to your door!!!!!

Walk outside and trip over the damn box.....how's that for available
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pöi§ön said:

Yes, but availability also includes time. If I order it now, will it be on my doorstep by noon? If it's at the store I may pick it up at noon. If I have to wait for someone to ship it, it's less available.
BTW I wasn't complaining, just asking the question.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Witness said:
Pöi§ön said:

Yes, but availability also includes time. If I order it now, will it be on my doorstep by noon? If it's at the store I may pick it up at noon. If I have to wait for someone to ship it, it's less available.
BTW I wasn't complaining, just asking the question.
True, true....but it's only less available if you don't plan ahead :wink:

Edit : that comment was not directed at you....just in general. The Mobil 1 MX4T or Shell Rotella T synthetc are two good oils you should be able to pick up locally.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poison

Yep, you're right. Got me! :oops:

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts
Call around to different autoparts, bike shops in your area. Someone is bound to have it. Or like it was said, orderit on-line or use one of us and you could have it next week. 8)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Amsoil has a couple of different distribution centers over the country.

I live in Ohio, when I order it comes from Pa, and I usually recieve my order within 3-5 days. Actually, the first time I ordered I got it in a day and a half, I think that was a freak thing.

If you got any other questions about Amsoil PM me and I'll try and get you steered in the right direction.

TRHOD

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over and done with ...

OK , OK , everyone ..... I planned ahead (Poison) and ordered mine online from NCbrew. I even got the filter to go with it. If this stuff's as good as everybody says it is, I'll never need to get it again ....... or in about 8,000 mi. whichever comes first.
Thanks again guys ! :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
You can't wait that long they only guarantee it for one year or 25,000 miles so you have to change it once a year no matter how good they say it is you have to change your oil a min. of once a year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
amsoil

I looked in the phone book under amsoil , found a dealer within 5 miles! Just plain good luck because I beleive it to be the best out there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
nh_teddy said:
You can't wait that long they only guarantee it for one year or 25,000 miles so you have to change it once a year no matter how good they say it is you have to change your oil a min. of once a year.
nh-teddy,

The 25,000miles or 1 year IS NOT FOR MOTORCYCLES. This is for car/truck oil, and you need to do a filter change at 6months or 12,500mi which ever comes first.

FOR MOTORCYLES: The oil is good for 2 times the manufacturers reccomended drain interval (which for our VTX is 8,000mi) with a filter change at the 1/2 point (which for our VTX is 4,000mi) 0R 6 MONTHS whichever comes first.

Please, don't get these confused. It is important to know the differences.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Only way to tell how far any oil will last in our engines is to test it.

Those that have had Amsoil tested figure it is good to 8000 miles. I wouldn't go more than that.
I change mine at 4 - 5K

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
No more mail order for me, local shop here sales Amsoil now 7 bucks a quart.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
Only way to tell how far any oil will last in our engines is to test it.

Those that have had Amsoil tested figure it is good to 8000 miles. I wouldn't go more than that.
I change mine at 4 - 5K
Poison, I agree with you 100%. The proper way to run extended intervals is to do an oil analysis. With my bike I try and change every 4-5k, I also change my final drive oil each time I change my engine oil. Seems like a no brainer, cheap insurance to me. It only takes about 4oz for the final drive.

Blessings,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty Quick

I ordered 4-20-05, recieved 4-22-05 (with free shipping only because it was my first time) and didn't have to go anywhere to get it. Pretty good to me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts