Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some amsoil series 2000 75w-90 gear lube yesterday from honda dealer. Is this the right oil for a 1300 final drive. Amsoil doesn't have it listed on their website. It's a green color and I bought it because final drive keeps leaking where drive shaft mates with final drive and I thought I would change to this lube to determine if it was just residual oil leaking from over fill from dealer putting way too much lube or the seal is shot. I figured if it starts leaking green after changing it one of the oil seals is is shot. Does this make sense.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, this is the correct oil. Unless you clean and flush the drive unit, the green oil will not stay really green. It will get black with all the standard oil and moly that is in there.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil seeping out of the driveshaft/final drive seem is golden brown. I have had it changed at 8000 and recently at 15000. I drained some out after dealer overfilled and was the same color and smell as the oil leaking. So ifigured if I flush it with some new green gear lube drain and refill it should pretty much keep its color for a ride or two. I just want to determine if seals are bad or just residual oil before tearing it apart. It was fine before dealer installed new rear tir and did lube change about a week ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.