Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wanted to share my experience with changing to a synthetic oil.

Bottom line is this. Don't buy the stuff to make your clacking metric cruiser stop clackity-clacking.

Don't buy it to get rid of the clunk in first gear either.

Get it if you DO want your bike to run cooler. DO get it if you don't want to change your oil for a long long time.

My bike is a little quieter, a little smoother shifting through the gears, and runs a little cooler. For 40 bucks an oil change it should.

Overall I'm disappointed. Many comments have been written about the product praising the drastic improvement from standard oil. This is probably true, however, in terms of protection - just not ear protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
So that AMSOIL is full syntetic?, my bike all ready have 300 miles an i'm thinking to change the oil at 600 whit honda oil and later at 1200 i will star usinf full syntetic,i will take it tomorrow to de dealer due to a knocking noise at the bottom of the engine that is making more notable every day, initialy was when driving on a parking lot on first gear at about 10 MPH or secon gear at abouth 20, but now when i'm waiting on a trafic light and i hit the gas just a little there is
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
jam788 said:
My bike is a little quieter, a little smoother shifting through the gears, and runs a little cooler. For 40 bucks an oil change it should.
That's pretty steep... I run Mobil One.. ya might want to price that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
I'm using the Mobil 1, and am satisfied with the vast improvement I've gotten in the shifting. So much so, I don't care what else I get out of it. I also got it because I learned to DESPISE Honda's so-called motor oil. I'd agree that AMSOIL is too expensive. The Mobil 1 was WAY less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,177 Posts
I switched to Mobil-1 @600 miles then I switched to Amsoil @ 12,500 miles. I now have 19,400 miles on my Retro Silver. IN MY OPINION -- smoother shifts are with AMSIOL. If I don't JAM it into 2nd I can shft with no clunk. On regular shifts, it clunks up and down through 2nd. HOWEVER, SHIFTS are smoother with asmoil than Mobil 1.

I have no idea if it runs cooler or not. That's what the FRICKEN THERMOSTAT is for on a LIQUID COOLED engine is for!!!!

Thats one man's experience in the world of sythetic oils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
LoneRanger said:
I have no idea if it runs cooler or not. That's what the FRICKEN THERMOSTAT is for on a LIQUID COOLED engine is for!!!!
:wink: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
LoneRanger said:
I switched to Mobil-1 @600 miles then I switched to Amsoil @ 12,500 miles. I now have 19,400 miles on my Retro Silver. IN MY OPINION -- smoother shifts are with AMSIOL. If I don't JAM it into 2nd I can shft with no clunk. On regular shifts, it clunks up and down through 2nd. HOWEVER, SHIFTS are smoother with asmoil than Mobil 1.

I have no idea if it runs cooler or not. That's what the FRICKEN THERMOSTAT is for on a LIQUID COOLED engine is for!!!!
I have almost the same experence. I switched to Mobile1 around 5,000 miles and to Amsoil around 13,000 miles. I could really care less about that stupid clunk in shifting through the gears. Just lets me know when I'm getting to first. Second I got about 2-3 miles per gallon more when I switched to Amsoil over Mobile1. That's riding both for about a year. I DID notice the engine was running cooler BECAUSE the fan wasn't coming on nearly as much...that was my clue. My bike ran hot from the very beginning, with Amsoil it runs cooler period.
If you read the stories and material when Honda built this bike they tried to build a bike "with character" because they said meterics caught greif for being too smooth and to refined. That's what's up with all the noise and clunking and clacking and clanking...it's Hondas response to "character".

just another mans experence in the world of sythetic oils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
gildagu said:
So that AMSOIL is full syntetic?, my bike all ready have 300 miles an i'm thinking to change the oil at 600 whit honda oil and later at 1200 i will star usinf full syntetic,i will take it tomorrow to de dealer due to a knocking noise at the bottom of the engine that is making more notable every day, initialy was when driving on a parking lot on first gear at about 10 MPH or secon gear at abouth 20, but now when i'm waiting on a trafic light and i hit the gas just a little there is
gildagu, I'm trying to learn spanish and I'm becoming alot more tolerant of spelling and forgetting accent marks and writing words that are very close in spelling and mean something totally diffrent. :evil: ok rant over...did bad on my verb quiz today....sorry

We Now Resume Our Regularly Scheduled Thread Post. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
Metric Mark said:
How do you know the bike is running cooler?
Don't know about him, but i noticed my bike ran cooler after switching to Synthetic (Rotella T) by how much longer it took for my fan to come on.
After the switch it went from coming on when i hit town, to not coming on untill i was nearly back at the house.

SiC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
jam788 said:
So, I wanted to share my experience with changing to a synthetic oil.

Bottom line is this. Don't buy the stuff to make your clacking metric cruiser stop clackity-clacking.

Don't buy it to get rid of the clunk in first gear either.

Get it if you DO want your bike to run cooler. DO get it if you don't want to change your oil for a long long time.

My bike is a little quieter, a little smoother shifting through the gears, and runs a little cooler. For 40 bucks an oil change it should.

Overall I'm disappointed. Many comments have been written about the product praising the drastic improvement from standard oil. This is probably true, however, in terms of protection - just not ear protection.
Which weight did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
amsoil

I just changed my oil last week to amsoil. I agree that the price is steep, and I also put the amsoil filter on, but I will not have to change my oil for 15,000 miles. That was worth the $60 dollars I spent. Also, my bike runs, shifts, and sounds smoother. Want noise, get Bubs Jug Huggers. I put those on yesterday and they were worth it.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oil Weight

Metrics use 10W40. I rode to work this morning and did notice a significant improvement in shifting. Also sounds quieter at start up. Please remember too that I'm riding a Star 1300 now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Re: Oil Weight

jam788 said:
. Please remember too that I'm riding a Star 1300 now.


TRAITOR :lol:

how do you like the efi, ive heard that some have a problem with throttle response being glitchy. i like the looks of them but bought the "x " because of price and liked the looks just a little better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Ive never used amsoil but mobile 1 seems to work great, I still change my oil at regular intervals though. Another product that seems to help the bike run much cooler is a coolant conditioner made by BG products, I added 1/2 a bottle to my coolant at the reccomendation of our local bg rep (I'm a mechanic) and it worked so well I hade to test the fan just to be sure it worked. My fan has only come on once or twice since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
Xlr8 said:
LoneRanger said:
I switched to Mobil-1 @600 miles then I switched to Amsoil @ 12,500 miles. I now have 19,400 miles on my Retro Silver. IN MY OPINION -- smoother shifts are with AMSIOL. If I don't JAM it into 2nd I can shft with no clunk. On regular shifts, it clunks up and down through 2nd. HOWEVER, SHIFTS are smoother with asmoil than Mobil 1.

I have no idea if it runs cooler or not. That's what the FRICKEN THERMOSTAT is for on a LIQUID COOLED engine is for!!!!
.......Second I got about 2-3 miles per gallon more when I switched to Amsoil over Mobile1. That's riding both for about a year.

How can that be possible? Both PAO-base full synthetic oils and one gets "2-3 miles per gallon more" ???
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Friction equals heat equals energy

Reduce the friction and reduce the energy required to do the same job....it's that simple.

Amsoils literature on wear is pretty cool. Check it out on their site!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The EFI is fine. There is a little bit of a sync issue between the throttle and the chip though...nothing major. Overall a great bike. Loved my X too. A guy in my neighborhood has the exact bike that I wrecked a couple of months ago. I still stare at it when he rides past the house. Deep Red......yum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
Re: Friction equals heat equals energy

jam788 said:
Reduce the friction and reduce the energy required to do the same job....it's that simple.
quote]

If that were true, I would think that AMSOIL would have that particular note on their website as a marketing point.

Mobil 1 full synthetic is a PAO-based synthetic oil, as is AMSOIL. In fact, AMSOIL buys their PAO basestock from Exxon/Mobil Corporation.

To say that AMSOIL full synthetic provides 2-3 mpg better than Mobil 1 full synthetic oil is a wild stretch of the imagination.

It's not going to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Metric Mark said:
How do you know the bike is running cooler?
'Cuz I have a thermometer ...



The bike used to run consistently above 215 degrees. Now, with AMSOIL, sits at 205, even in our sweltering heat (107 yesterday).
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top