I just got my case of the new 10w-40 and NC Brew says 6000 miles! :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
Here is what you need from Amsoil:

MCF-01 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (1) Case
SMF103 Motorcycle Oil Filter (3)
SVGQT 75W90 Severe Gear Synthetic Gear Lube (1) Qt
STMQT Shock Therapy suspension fluid #10 Med wt (If you are gonna do your shock oil)

These are all the products you might need from Amsoil for your bike. If you get the case of oil, (3) filters, and (1) qt gear lube this will take care of 3 complete oil changes on your VTX.

The new MCF 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil was just released the beginning of April. This oil was formulated specifically for motorcycles, atvs that use the oil as engine and transmission fluid both.

One important thing to remember with the motorcycle oil is that it SHOULD BE CHANGED EVERY 6 MONTHS. Yes, the drain interval, with respect to mileage, is increased with Amsoil, but you still need to change the oil every 6 months.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question PM me.
TRHOD

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for 6,000 Miles?

·
Registered
889 Posts
If Pat told you 6,000miles, I would say that is money. Pat is very knowledgable about the Amsoil company.

I would have to look it up again, because I don't have the literature right in front of me, but I BELIEVE the way the drain interval reads is for 2x the normal reccommended drain interval (which would be 8,000mi) with a filter change at the half way point (which would be 4,000mi). But, again I don't have the info right in front of me right now. And again, Pat is very up to snuff on all the particulars of the drain intervals, so if he told you 6K, I would go with that.

Personally, I change my oil somewhere between 4 and 5K, with a filter change and I also change the final drive oil at the same time. I know I don't have to do the final drive, but it only takes about 4oz of gear lube. That seems like a no brainer to me. Clean, fresh gear lube every 5k.

TRHOD

·
Registered
520 Posts
Aimsoil

I switched my 1300s to aimsoil at 800 miles. On my daughters bike I stayed with honda oil. after 1500 miles the aimsoil is as black as coal and the honda oil is so clean you have to look hard on the stick to see it. WTF

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Amsoil 10/40 can be run for 8000 miles in a bike. I've done it and had the oil tested at Blackstone labs to be sure. If you use the honda filter I would change the filter at 4000. I will add that this was with a stock air filter and if your using a K&N air filter I would change oil at 6000.

mike149, Don't worry about the color of the oil its doing what it was designed to do , protecting the engine. I'd worry more about the oil that looks clean ,thats a sign of a an inferior detergent package. If you think your oil is black at 800 miles think about what it would look like at 8000 miles, it wasn't pretty but it was still doing its job.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
10w-40 8,000 miles
word!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
TRHOD said:
Here is what you need from Amsoil:

MCF-01 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (1) Case
SMF103 Motorcycle Oil Filter (3)
SVGQT 75W90 Severe Gear Synthetic Gear Lube (1) Qt
STMQT Shock Therapy suspension fluid #10 Med wt (If you are gonna do your shock oil)

These are all the products you might need from Amsoil for your bike. If you get the case of oil, (3) filters, and (1) qt gear lube this will take care of 3 complete oil changes on your VTX.

The new MCF 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil was just released the beginning of April. This oil was formulated specifically for motorcycles, atvs that use the oil as engine and transmission fluid both.

One important thing to remember with the motorcycle oil is that it SHOULD BE CHANGED EVERY 6 MONTHS. Yes, the drain interval, with respect to mileage, is increased with Amsoil, but you still need to change the oil every 6 months.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question PM me.
TRHOD
Why would you have to change it every 6 months if Amsoil has an acid neutralizing package in it specially formulated for aluminum engines and does not absorb moisture when stored ???
When run in a car you can go 25K or once a year per Amsoil
Why 6 months in a bike ?????
Don't see that on the bottle. Not trying to be a pain, just curious.
Spencer :twisted:

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Aimsoil

mike149 said:
I switched my 1300s to aimsoil at 800 miles. On my daughters bike I stayed with honda oil. after 1500 miles the aimsoil is as black as coal and the honda oil is so clean you have to look hard on the stick to see it. WTF
Hi Mike,
I have read some of your other posts. Your daughter has a Aero? Right? I assume the 750 model? I too was amazed at how black the oil gets in the 1300. I used to have a 750 ACE, the Aero predecessor. The oil never got that black. (I use Honda oil on both bikes and change @ 3000 miles).

Since the 1300 is such a significantly bigger engine than the 750. It generates a great deal more heat than the 750. (I could really tell in the summer). I assume that the higher engine temps "cooks" the oil. Causing it to blacken faster than the Aero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts