Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending time in the USMC, and later in the U.S. Navy, I somehow have acquired this desire to polish stuff. Or, maybe I'm the "missing link" Shiny stuff makes me smile.

I picked up this bike less than a week ago. It's in great shape for a 2006 year model with 18,xxx miles, but the wheels had some light pitting - and so they got the 120 grit, then 180, 220, 320, then 400 and then a polish with a foam wheel at the end of an electric drill, with Mother's aluminum polish. Trying to get close to the factory finish. Not shiny, not satin.

Finished the front and then started on the rear.

Removed the no-name-brand extra-loud exhaust. Odd set. Heat shields welded on - and something resembling a baffle welded into the pipe. They looked nice, though. Never did find a name or part number on them. Soooo cleaned up a set of OEM exhaust and there you are.

Washed and a bit of Meguire's cleaner wax.

400 miles so far, and everything appears to be in order.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Nice job looks great!!!!! When can you do mine?
Right after he gets to mine, LOL! Seriously, I have to do some power polishing on mine, too, but it's been too hot lately and I've been going to some local baseball games in the evenings. Eventually.

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
I bought a chrome wheel for the front, and stretched bags for the rear. No one can see how bad that back wheel really looks.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I bought a chrome wheel for the front, and stretched bags for the rear. No one can see how bad that back wheel really looks.
True dat, but -WE-, as the owner, know. And it bugs us neglecting her.

Reactions: SUMDATX and Harkon

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Welded on heat shield and welded in straight through baffle is like my HardKrome 2.5" classics.
A number is stamped on a weldment 8" from the rear top pipe facing the wheel.
Aluminum removable end caps.

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
True dat, but -WE-, as the owner, know. And it bugs us neglecting her.
Yeah, I hear ya. Had the wheel off this spring to do the brakes. Spent hours on the wheel. It wasn't perfect, but looked pretty good. Made a brake job a two day job ... Lol, but I knew it was looking good under there.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, crap. The rear wheel is more shiny than the front, now.

Had an old can of Mother's aluminum polish and ran out. Got a new can, and it worked much better. I never figured that stuff to have a shelf life ?

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
Likely not a shelf life, more than likely a slightly different formulation. Wheels look great. I think I'm going to go after mine, I'm convinced to give it a try. Rainy day project.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We're lucky to have a walk-out basement..... and then I rented a concrete saw and replaced the 36" door with a 44" door.

So, HUGE difference in the ease of care and feeding of the little motorbikes.
No day too hot or too cold.
This is last year's "winter" picture. They're all tucked into a nice, warm basement.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
The rear wheel hub area looks like chrome.
Great job!
In 2 -3 hours you could have shiny forks!

·
Registered
7,221 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a No-Mar which I got many years again when I purchased one of their tire changers.
There's a good selection of dynamic balancers out there, maybe even from Harbor freight. They're pretty much the same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts