Honda VTX Forum banner

And so it begins....

5K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  ptxl1000 
#1 ·
Alright gang,

So I broke down and went all in on the metricbagger rear section. With anything custom I can see the $$ adding up already. I will try to post pics to show progress.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Good luck PTXL. I did the same to my 03 R. I love it, but yeah the $ adds up. I will be following to see what you do with the Metric Bagger set up.

#8 ·
That's gonna look good. Are you all in with the skirted front fender and rake as well? I assume you'll use the fairing you've already got rather than theirs.

Have you decided on an exhaust that will work with the bags?

How challenging is it getting to the rear wheel for a tire swap with these bags?

How is ground clearance in the turns?

The site doesn't seem to address the latter two Qs. http://www.metricbagger.com/index.htm

#9 ·
That's gonna look good. Are you all in with the skirted front fender and rake as well? I assume you'll use the fairing you've already got rather than theirs.

Have you decided on an exhaust that will work with the bags?

How challenging is it getting to the rear wheel for a tire swap with these bags?

How is ground clearance in the turns?

The site doesn't seem to address the latter two Qs. http://www.metricbagger.com/index.htm
I'm going to keep my undertaker front fender cause I dig the look. I'm working with Frankie at FSD exhausts; he will have pipes for the 1800 soon. The whole rear section will come off as 1 piece after unbolting from the supplied brackets and I will put quick connects on all the brake lighting and stereo wiring so it should be 20-30 minutes to the rear wheel if I need. The clearance will be fine because I will install arnott air ride shocks, the pics on the site look deceiving because the bikes have the air dumped out of the shocks to look lower. I will be wrestling with the shocks later tonight ad post some pics.

#14 ·
Well I got the design down for the speakers. I 3M epoxied and fiber glassed in some 10-24 weld nut standoffs inside the bags to support the 6x9's this way I don't have to drill holes through the bags and it will look a lot cleaner. Everything dried up nice and they ain't budgin'. Inside will be carpet so not to concerned with the rough draft. What was concerning is how thin of fiberglass was laid on the bottom floor of the bags, maybe jrhudak can chime in and verify the same issue? I could shine a light under the bags and see it inside??!! I laid down a couple more sheets o fiberglass just for piece of mind.

Attachments

#15 ·
Alright so the pattern came out pretty good and didn't have to cut away too much and mess with the integrity of the mold. The weld nuts worked out great and the speakers are in there solid. I put some expanded metal painted black over the cut outs first to keep debris out while riding then the spacer with fabric with the speaker mounted to that. Got a busy week so that will be all I can do on the project. Next will be the amp mounted the same way.

Attachments

#16 ·
Well I got the design down for the speakers. I 3M epoxied and fiber glassed in some 10-24 weld nut standoffs inside the bags to support the 6x9's this way I don't have to drill holes through the bags and it will look a lot cleaner. Everything dried up nice and they ain't budgin'. Inside will be carpet so not to concerned with the rough draft. What was concerning is how thin of fiberglass was laid on the bottom floor of the bags, maybe jrhudak can chime in and verify the same issue? I could shine a light under the bags and see it inside??!! I laid down a couple more sheets o fiberglass just for piece of mind.
Sorry for the delay PTX. Yeah fiberglass in bags has some thin points where it makes you second guess but I haven't had any issues with them holding weight. I have loaded them up with heavy groceries and not had an issue. My thinness was mostly in the corners of the bags and yes I could see light through them.

Looks great keep it coming. Are you having Frankie do a one off? I don't know how far he is from full production. I know he has done at least 2 one off for the 1800. Right now I am waiting for production, because I am not spending that much unless I can get heat shields like on his 1300 ones. Right now I just fabbed up so stock C headers with monster baffles from a cut off exhaust....
Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Motorcycle accessories

Wheel Tire Vehicle brake Auto part Automotive tire

I have the heat shield to cover pipe just not in those photos

Sent via carrier pigeon

#17 ·
Also love my arnott with this set up. My accutronix FC's will scrape before bags will.

Sent via carrier pigeon

#18 ·
Sorry for the delay PTX. Yeah fiberglass in bags has some thin points where it makes you second guess but I haven't had any issues with them holding weight. I have loaded them up with heavy groceries and not had an issue. My thinness was mostly in the corners of the bags and yes I could see light through them.

Looks great keep it coming. Are you having Frankie do a one off? I don't know how far he is from full production. I know he has done at least 2 one off for the 1800. Right now I am waiting for production, because I am not spending that much unless I can get heat shields like on his 1300 ones. Right now I just fabbed up so stock C headers with monster baffles from a cut off exhaust....
View attachment 58534
View attachment 58535

I have the heat shield to cover pipe just not in those photos

Sent via carrier pigeon
I did the same thing with the cut off C exhaust for now. I will probably wait for production too, I get the feeling that Frankie is busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Maybe he will pop in on the thread and update us.

#20 ·
I believe those are the Tsukayu Jumbo Hard Bags. I have the standard Strong Hard Bags. Love them.They are the only bags for a Neo IMHO. Contrary to the angle of my p

#23 ·
OK, the project was back in action for this weekend. I got the wiring completed to the tail lights/Brake lights and wired them in with some LED bullets for the license plate. Had to solder diodes and resistors inline for running lights to get brighter when the brakes were applied. Routed it all together and through the inside of the bag and into a block plug that I can unplug easily if I need to remove the setup for changing tire. Also had time to run it down to Corbin and have a seat fitted. The seat came out great but not anything close to my ol' Ultimate Big boy.

Attachments

#26 ·
Signal bars are 10" end to end. 2 LED strips per signal, 1 for running/brake and 1 for turn.
PTX. Thanks for posting an update and glad it is coming along well. I am envious you had Corbin within driving distance as my seat was a pain to get done. I drove without a seat for a year coming up with cost affordable options.

I have a couple of tail light questions. First do you have any pics on where you ran the lines back into the bags by the battery compartment? I originally drilled holes by the latches and I think mine are too close to the arnott shocks. This causes me to pinch wires and blow fuses. I am about to reroute lines.

Second, did you use the stock led strips from Darren? Mine are 3 wide. 10 inches long. Just wondering if you used another source like custom dynamics. Some of my LEDs are already burning out so I need to replace mine. I run three vertical. Brakes are outer two and the center is the turn. Just curious.

Lastly I use the RTB module Darren made himself, are you using that as well or another company? When I go and reroute my wires and replace the LEDs I want to evaluate other options.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.