Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? Speedo and odometer both stopped working at the same time. All indicator and riding lights still work. I have read all the threads. Checked the green plugs (broke the clasps in the process). Tightened the battery terminals, checked the ground plug. Swapped fuses. Nothing has fixed it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Check the speed sensor, bottom left side under the clutch cable. You will have to pull the chrome cover off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would seem the logical choice for both going out a once. I am searching here for tips on replacing the speed sensor

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
VSS outputs +5v pulses when the rear wheel is turning---white wire.
G/Bl is the ground wire.
Bl/Br is the +12v wire (to power a chip)
Main harness wire colors shown.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Check the green plugs look closely,closely -sometimes the pins can be pushed back into the connectors and not make contact. Broken clip - place a small zip tie threw the wires on each plug and around both plugs to pull them together. mine have been that way for years.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I checked the plugs pretty well. Am going to check from the VSS tomorrow and work my way back to the harness. Dealer told me they hardly ever see a speedo unit go bad. Will update again after I check it all. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I did the wiring checks per the service manual pg 19-6. All seems to be correct.
Next I metered the White and Gr/Black wire per the manual and advice from this thread, with the harness connected, on the speedo side. turned the key on and get a solid 4.5 volt reading. Even when moving the bike. No pulse as expected.

Could this be a limitaion of my digital volt meter? Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Mine had definite voltage/no voltage readings when turning the wheel.
68 to 72 pulses per revolution. My digital meter showed 1.8~ when turning and 3.31~ when stopped... I also had a Led flashing.... MY cheap meter averages some of the pulses apparently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked everything again. Turned the wheel very slowly with key on. My meter reads 4.58 volts as soon as I turn on the key and never changes. Started moter and it worked exaclty the same. I am sure my voltmeter was the cheapest one Walmart sells. Will borrow some one elses and try again. Thanks a bunch for all your advice.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Sounds bad. Damn shame they are so expensive. Probably 3 major components in there: pickup coil, Schmitt trigger, and a 5 volt regulator.

>>And I was talking about my cheap meter<< A friend gave it to me. A HF unit..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just dawned on me that all the videos and information online show the wires coming directly from the speed sensor wiring. I have mine connected off of the green plugs on the upper right side under the gas tank. I thought that is where I should be checking for a pulse. Is that incorrect? Should I only see a pulse at the speed sensor?

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Since there is a connector by the left side engine cover it would be good to check there. Open the connector and look for the pulse. A few VSS have died this year. I really like testing with a Led also. Led and 330 Ohm resistor makes for a good tester.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts