Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine noise vtx 1800

ok im new to the vtx 1800 but have had an 1100 sabre for a while I bought the vtx 1800r about 2 months ago ive put about 400 miles on the only thing ive done is cobra pipes I did the ground mod and changrd fluids sunday Ive scoured this board looming for possible resolutions to my issiu but thought I would just post. Went for a ride saturday night started bike let it warm up daughter jumped on rode to the lake about 80 miles total. When I pulled into the garage bike still running pulled my helmet off heard louder than usual ding da da ding ................da ding ding ding best u can describe it. Upper front jug maybe but resonates to rear hard to tell does not go up and down with motor rpm and pretty much gone past idle. Its kind of like a louder version of your pipes pinging when they cool down. Shut it off started it up yesterday morning whisper quiet when cold but comes on as it warmes up rode it around no loss in power and dont really notice it with helmet on but it is there and I know it was not there on thursday im concerned I already had the desmog and valve adjustment planned. The guy I bought it from has no idea when valves were adjusted last ive never been right next to any other 1800 to listen to so I cant compare I dont know if its valves or this decompression lobe thing ive heard of I know I dont have the cash to do a tear down right now looking for the issue. Or if ill damage it or destroy it if I keep riding it its disheartning I would be the lucky one to have an issue as these engines seem to be honda tough oh 33000 miles. Thanks for any input ive done the obvious check exhaust flanges they are tight shields tight headlight quiet so im not sure what to do now. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,072 Posts
Contact John Helms here on VTXOA, actually he'll prolly see this. He's a good mechanic and learning the X and would prolly gladly listen to it. If you need to Go into it, there's a guy in Phx goes by Taz, he's top notch.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Keep us posted...Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vtx 1800 engine noise

I stopped by johns yesterday afternoon he definatly hears the sound we agreed as of this point its not catastrophic for sure we fired his bike our engines sound totallyifferent. Im leaning towards the decompression lobe only ere when warmed up tingy sound gone soon as you blip the throttle only hear it at idle. Honda has a write up on this and says it will not cause damage time will tell I got a good deal on the bike everything else is nice and in great shape it could go 100 miles or 20 thousand im just gonna ride it and if it gets worse it gets worse I look for a used motor but I hear of guys with the vtx that have loud engines with wierd sounds that go for ever too so maybe im new to the vtx and anal paranoid im gonna continue with valve adjustment and desmog see where im at after riding it for a while after that joh. Is a great guy it was great meeting him and this board is awsome I will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
238 Posts
ok im new to the vtx 1800 but have had an 1100 sabre for a while I bought the vtx 1800r about 2 months ago ive put about 400 miles on the only thing ive done is cobra pipes I did the ground mod and changrd fluids sunday Ive scoured this board looming for possible resolutions to my issiu but thought I would just post. Went for a ride saturday night started bike let it warm up daughter jumped on rode to the lake about 80 miles total. When I pulled into the garage bike still running pulled my helmet off heard louder than usual ding da da ding ................da ding ding ding best u can describe it. Upper front jug maybe but resonates to rear hard to tell does not go up and down with motor rpm and pretty much gone past idle. Its kind of like a louder version of your pipes pinging when they cool down. Shut it off started it up yesterday morning whisper quiet when cold but comes on as it warmes up rode it around no loss in power and dont really notice it with helmet on but it is there and I know it was not there on thursday im concerned I already had the desmog and valve adjustment planned. The guy I bought it from has no idea when valves were adjusted last ive never been right next to any other 1800 to listen to so I cant compare I dont know if its valves or this decompression lobe thing ive heard of I know I dont have the cash to do a tear down right now looking for the issue. Or if ill damage it or destroy it if I keep riding it its disheartning I would be the lucky one to have an issue as these engines seem to be honda tough oh 33000 miles. Thanks for any input ive done the obvious check exhaust flanges they are tight shields tight headlight quiet so im not sure what to do now. Thanks.
OK, the problem I had on my Shadow making a scary sound turned out to be a loose baffle in my aftermarket pipe ... Wouldn't be that simple would it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe

That would be awesome ive checked for every damn thing that could rattle but not that but you can bet on it that I will this noise might drive me nuts arrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That would be awesome ive checked for every damn thing that could rattle but not that but you can bet on it that I will this noise might drive me nuts arrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol.
Push a long socket extension up the pipe and if you find the right spot just whack the end with a hammer to fix the rattler in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so weird

Yea its a weird one tinny sound clack clack ive used stethoscope this afternoon a dowel rod put my ear everywhere on the damn thing thru the scope and rod all I can hear is normal engine sound but to my normal ear clack clack at idle give it a little throttle gone. when its cold no clack put my gloves on hold pipes still clack flashlight looking for something hanging on the head nothing timing chain a little rattle decompressor lobe I don't know it does not sound like valves blip the throttle its gone ride down the road don't hear it idle clack clack maybe my brain rattles. lol

·
Registered
16,072 Posts
decompression knock is pretty common even on newer VTX bikes. I've seen 05's with 30k miles, ran syn oil their entire engine life with sticky decomp causing that noise. I've never seen one sticking worse than making that slight knock. I've only heard of one sticking so bad a guy replaced his cams for what he felt was lost compression. It can be fixed without changing the engine. Buying a used engine isn't the fix. Taz can either remove the lobe or replace the cams for a lot less than a used engine. My personal bike has 60K miles and had that knock for prolly the last 30k. One of these days I'll remove the decomp lobes. BTW, from the ones I've listened to it's almost always been the front cam for some reason :dontknow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would say

Yea I would say that's most likely the issue and if it will run that way for many miles like yours and not get worse ill get used to the noise. Im not sure how to get a hold of taz but if I ever need major work ill need him. I love the bike power is a trip don't like the noise but like I say im sure I ill ge used to it. and I will make it mine. weird how it just all of a sudden started freaked me out. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts