Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, it's been a while since I've been on this forum, but it feels good to be back.

So, my 04 1300C is my daily driver/commuter, and I always ride with earplugs at highways speeds. Recently on a short hop to the store (no earplugs), I heard a terrible grinding sound coming from the rear end of the bike. Troubleshooting lead me to believe it was the non-drive side wheel bearing. So I took it home, jacked it up, and confirmed it was the wheel bearing:

While I was at it, I went to spin the flange bearings, and they were grinding as well and could hardly spin! Only 1 of the 4 total bearings in the wheel was good! :surprise:
Just like others have reported, the inner flange bearing was the first to fail, but the outer bearing felt like it wasn't too far behind. You can see the chunks of plastic that used to hold the bearing balls in place, are now stuck between the flange and the flange collar.

I accidentally placed the inner bearing upside-down when I took the picture, but you can still see that the one-sided seal was completely flared out. When I tried to drive the collar out of the bearings, the inner bearing just completely fell apart, and the inner race was stuck on the collar.

Judging by this, my guess is that I have a tapered flange like most people have reported. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to verify this, nor do I have the time to take everything to a machine shop and have them bore out the flange (again, this is my daily commuter at the moment). Anyway, I managed to partially put the bad bearing back together and drive the collar out the rest of the way, but MAN was it a PITA!!!

Next, I had to get the wheel bearings out. Of course, AutoZone doesn't have the correct bearing pullers anymore, so I had to use one of their blind hole pullers.......aaaand I ended up shearing off one of the puller arms.:banghead: :cus:
So, I said f*#k it and got out my BFH and the biggest flathead screwdriver I had (yes, not the right tools for the job, but it's what I had, and I needed it done ASAP). I didn't care about the bearings at this point, and I was out of beer for this project so my patience was already pretty low. Long story, short: they finally came out.

After further inspection, it looks as if the rubber seals had melted themselves to the wheel, which explains the sheared puller arm and the need for the BFH.

After several PAINFUL hours of trying to get the bearings out of the wheel and off of the flange collar, everything was ready to be cleaned, repaired, replaced, and installed.

I picked up the All Balls bearing kit and will be replacing them tonight.

Until I have the time for my local shop to bore out the flange ID, I'll be keeping my eye on these bearings. Luckily, they're cheap enough that it won't break the bank if I have to replace them again, but if they last longer than the 40k miles that my original ones had, it won't be for MANY years (and I'll probably have a new bike by then :D).

One final note: since the Honda Moly 60 Paste is no longer available, I did A LOT of research and found that the "Loctite Moly Paste" is an equivalent.
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797877698561

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I too wear earplugs on the highway!! I thought i was hearing a little mouse at first. I do not think I would hear that over my exhaust.. I am happy that it did not lockup or such, seems like it was pretty close! Would you use regular bearing grease to repack or is there a special motorcycle one to use? I have usually only done auto bearings

Good luck with the rest of the project!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too wear earplugs on the highway!! I thought i was hearing a little mouse at first. I do not think I would hear that over my exhaust.. I am happy that it did not lockup or such, seems like it was pretty close! Would you use regular bearing grease to repack or is there a special motorcycle one to use? I have usually only done auto bearings

Good luck with the rest of the project!
Thanks! I think the dust seal was dry, hence the squeaking, but the grinding is what I was hearing on the road. It's fairly quiet in the video, but when I was on the bike and slowing down from 20mph, the grinding was LOUD!!! And I'm also glad I caught it before anything catastrophic happened!

As far as packing with grease: I don't know, but I would assume a high temp bearing grease would work. I've since replaced all of my bearings with All Balls sealed bearings, so no more repacking :D

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Rare to have a drive flange bearing fail on 1300.
Maybe they used up all of the remaining bad ones in 2004 production.
What is the mileage on your X?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got everything put back together at 2am the other night, and I've been riding to work since. Lemme tell ya.......WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!

Acceleration feels smoother and quicker. The bike actually coasts to a stop rather than rapidly slows down like it did. There used to be vibrations from the back end that I thought were just normal V-Twin feelings. GONE! Smooth as glass! I don't know if my butt dyno just makes me think it's faster simply because there are new parts installed, or if the bad bearings were actually adding a very noticeable amount of resistance and slowing the bike down. In any case, this is the best this bike's ever ran!

While I was in the back wheel, I also installed new dampers.

There was a decent amount of slop, and I figures 13 years is long enough for those rubber parts to be in service.

Everything shifts better, and the lash from decelerating is now gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rare to have a drive flange bearing fail on 1300.
Maybe they used up all of the remaining bad ones in 2004 production.
What is the mileage on your X?

It was the inner flange bearing that failed (the one deepest in the flange where people have reported a tighter fit because of the taper). Granted, the outer flange bearing was starting to go as well, but it still had a little life left in it.

I am sitting at just over 46k miles as of this morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts