Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday one of my good Friends had a car pull out in front of him while on his way home from work. He said the car pulled out a little, stopped, then started back up when he got closer. He put the brakes on to go around the back end of the car cause they stopped right in the middle of the lane and caught the back end cause the car realized what they did and put the brakes on for the final time. Broken wrist, tore up knees and totaled his Victory Vegas Jackpot Cory Ness. But he did get to go home and will still be there for his kids! What is wrong with People now a days. That is the third friend of mine this year that had a car pull out in front of them and last year another friend of mine Got Clotheslined by an AT&T phone line(About to be very wealthy by the way). With all the accidents it has got me thinking maybe a bike is not all that important of a thing to have.

PLEASE EVERYONE TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND PEOPLE YOU DONT TO START LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE PULLING OUT IN TRAFFIC, AND WHEN YOU ARE SURE IT'S CLEAR LOOK ONCE MORE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Glad to hear that he is going home. The Vegas can be replaced. Time with His kids can not.

Driving home from work yesterday, I counted 9 bikes passing me in 10 miles. I believe that Bikes are becoming more prevalent on roads as their popularity increases. It's a sad fact that we will probably see more and more Cage vs Bike incidents in the future. With Gas so expensive, more and more people are riding bikes to work as well.
I just try like crazy to anticipate the worst possible scenario at all times so if someone does pull out, I am, at least, somewhat, ready for it.
I also believe that a lot of people tend to try and save their bikes and stay with them. If I can, I am ditching the darn bike. I know it's easy to sit here and say all of this but constantly thinking about it and playing out the "what if" events in my mind may someday help. God willing-I hope I will never need it. :eek:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Hope your friend is doing OK.

Yes, bikes are dangerous.

But remember that when we do something we tend to see the expereiences of others more often....ie we notice it more.

People die on bikes every die.

People also die in cars, trucks, while walking down the stairs, while having sex, etc....everyday.

....only you don't hear about all those incidents unless they happen to make the news for some reason.

Take the MSF course...ride with a hint of paranoia (yes, they ARE all out to get me!) .....and ride assuming that the other party will do something really stupid EVERY TIME as they did in this case. While your friend's accident was primarily caused by the idiot in the cage doing a double stop like that, your friend also erred by assuming they would continue on after the first stop and go......ALWAYS ASSUME THE WORST!

People are stupid and usually do the dumbest things when they panic.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Scorpion79 said:
Yesterday one of my good Friends had a car pull out in front of him while on his way home from work. He said the car pulled out a little, stopped, then started back up when he got closer. He put the brakes on to go around the back end of the car cause they stopped right in the middle of the lane and caught the back end cause the car realized what they did and put the brakes on for the final time. Broken wrist, tore up knees and totaled his Victory Vegas Jackpot Cory Ness. But he did get to go home and will still be there for his kids! What is wrong with People now a days. That is the third friend of mine this year that had a car pull out in front of them and last year another friend of mine Got Clotheslined by an AT&T phone line(About to be very wealthy by the way). With all the accidents it has got me thinking maybe a bike is not all that important of a thing to have.

PLEASE EVERYONE TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND PEOPLE YOU DONT TO START LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE PULLING OUT IN TRAFFIC, AND WHEN YOU ARE SURE IT'S CLEAR LOOK ONCE MORE!!!!!!!
Unfortunately people don't seem to be getting any brighter. I'm glad he's reasonably ok. Tell him to contact a good attorney; it's amazing the long term effects that injuries to the muscular/skeletal system can cause. A lifetime of problems all because of one idiot. I hope he heals well.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My thoughts are with him as I lay here in my hospital bed. I almost died and I will live hurt and cripled in one leg for the rest of my life. Just because of someone's mistake. There was nothing I could have done other than not to be riding a bike. If I would have been in my truck (she probly wouldnt have pulled out in my lane to turn left) I would have killed her. Oh well here's life. Be safe as you can be. that is all we can do. 8)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I know how you feel.....I had a cage shove me into a stopped lane. But I ride every day so I can give my son what ever he needs. Riding saves me a ton of money, especially now.

I ride with a headlight modulator and that helps a ton. Remember this....cars pull out in front of trains and 18 wheelers ever day, so what chance do we have that they will see us. We don't......But I will not live my life in fear of the something I can't control some times. When they stop dying in SUV's....I'll get one.

........................twin

·
Registered
248 Posts
I pray your friend has a quick recovery. It seems that many things you want to do in life are dangerous. My brother was in Iraq. He now skydives 20 times a week back home. Someone I knew died on a 3 wheeler in the dirt. You can die horseback riding, skiing, surfing, on a ladder etc. Someone dies swimming in the lake here every summer. I can count 5 close relatives that have died of cancer in the last few years. A close friends son died of brain cancer a few months ago. He was 14. My grandma always told me to not swim in the lake. I think that riding raises your risk level somewhat, but not all that much. I also think regular bicycling is more dangerous. I'm not saying his accident could have been avoided but he did seem to have a bit of warning when the cage started, then stopped. Never expect the cage to do the right thing. I feel that I will be as carefull as possible and God will pick up the slack if I screw up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend.

The good thing with more and more bikes is that the awareness of bikes has increased. We need to make ourselves as visible as possible to cagers.

We also need to really get on other bikers that ride like jerks. They give bikers a bad name and make the cagers loose respect for us.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your friend. I was driving my cage and following a bike about a week ago. The afternoon sun was in my eyes. At times the bike appeared almost invisible :shock: . It is the poor weak stock lights.
I have installed as much extra lighting as legal and then some :idea: . I think a ticket for lights is cheaper than medical bills. My wife has followed my bike with the cage and says it shows up like a Xmas tree.
Just don't install lights using illegal colors :oops: . I don't think the law will bother you about lights unless they are blinding or you tick them off in some other way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I also think I should clear up what I wrote before. This is what happened from him. He was pulling up to an intersection, The other driver was at the crossroad that had a stop sign. As he approached the car started to pull out and got its front end in his lane. He slowed down under control and the car stopped in his lane. He figured they had seen him. So thinking then he was ok to go on he got back on the gas, it was at that point the car then resumed pulling out. He told me when it started moving again he hit his brakes hard and turned for the back end of the car to swerve around it. He did not want to lay it down or run straight into the door because he could tell someone was in the back seat. His bike laid only a 10 foot skid and then he heard a loud bang and became a ragdoll. He said he tried to relax and not tense up which probably saved him from lots of broken bones. Bike totalled and car with a badly damaged trunk area. Pretty lengthy I know but I realize that the first post was a mess.lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do not own stock in this company so I have nothing to gain by saying..... get a modultor. It has helped imensely in becoming noticed and not having cars pull out in front of you.

They cost around $100 (some less). A cheap mod that will make you safer and possibly save your life. By pass the bling and get a modulator.

Opinions vary..... but the truth never does. :)

R. Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.