Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently switched from 92 octane to 87 and after 1 tank my results were 39 mpg of mostly in town riding using 7% as an arbitrary odometer error. How's that for irrelevant info? :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
XRiderChuck said:
Recently switched from 92 octane to 87 and after 1 tank my results were 39 mpg of mostly in town riding using 7% as an arbitrary odometer error. How's that for irrelevant info? :?
Pretty good for irrevelant info.

:-D

Seriously, did you check your mileage when you were running 92 octane? Of course, to make a good comparison, you need to have data on several tankfuls of each.

Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noooo... that's what makes it sooo irrelevant!
Seriously, I was getting around 39 mpg on the 92 octane but that wasn't figuring in any odometer error, so it was prolly more like 37 or so. She sure seems to like the 87 just as well as the 92, so I'm saving $ there even if the milage stays same same.
Say Eddie, where does a guy get one o' them speedohealers? I need to get a GPS too, what do you use? I'm thinkin I want a handheld unit, so I can use it off the bike as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
XRiderChuck said:
Noooo... that's what makes it sooo irrelevant!
Seriously, I was getting around 39 mpg on the 92 octane but that wasn't figuring in any odometer error, so it was prolly more like 37 or so. She sure seems to like the 87 just as well as the 92, so I'm saving $ there even if the milage stays same same.
Say Eddie, where does a guy get one o' them speedohealers? I need to get a GPS too, what do you use? I'm thinkin I want a handheld unit, so I can use it off the bike as well.
There are lots of speedohealers, and I'm sure someone will pop in and post links. I have a Garmin 2610, and know that my speedometer is exactly 10% off, so I dropped plans to install a speedohealer.

For my particular speedometer, it's simple to calculate:

80 = 72
90 = 81
100 = 90
110 = 99
120 = 108
130 = 117
140 = 126
150 = 135

etc.

Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
eddiecohen said:
XRiderChuck said:
Noooo... that's what makes it sooo irrelevant!
Seriously, I was getting around 39 mpg on the 92 octane but that wasn't figuring in any odometer error, so it was prolly more like 37 or so. She sure seems to like the 87 just as well as the 92, so I'm saving $ there even if the milage stays same same.
Say Eddie, where does a guy get one o' them speedohealers? I need to get a GPS too, what do you use? I'm thinkin I want a handheld unit, so I can use it off the bike as well.
There are lots of speedohealers, and I'm sure someone will pop in and post links. I have a Garmin 2610, and know that my speedometer is exactly 10% off, so I dropped plans to install a speedohealer.

For my particular speedometer, it's simple to calculate:

80 = 72
No need going past this one unless you're having a dreaming session :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: aka Dirty Rotten

Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
eddiecohen said:
XRiderChuck said:
Noooo... that's what makes it sooo irrelevant!
Seriously, I was getting around 39 mpg on the 92 octane but that wasn't figuring in any odometer error, so it was prolly more like 37 or so. She sure seems to like the 87 just as well as the 92, so I'm saving $ there even if the milage stays same same.
Say Eddie, where does a guy get one o' them speedohealers? I need to get a GPS too, what do you use? I'm thinkin I want a handheld unit, so I can use it off the bike as well.
There are lots of speedohealers, and I'm sure someone will pop in and post links. I have a Garmin 2610, and know that my speedometer is exactly 10% off, so I dropped plans to install a speedohealer.

For my particular speedometer, it's simple to calculate:

80 = 72
No need going past this one unless you're having a dreaming session :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: aka Dirty Rotten

Eddie
You seem to forget that I'm riding a Red Retro. You're basing your top speed on a C model. They won't run over 80, will they?

:-D


Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
You guys are right on!!

Allowing for speedometer error, my C won't run much past 72 . . . . . . In second gear!!

Ride safely and have fun!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
mileage

I'm pretty consistent around the 40 mpg mixed highway and city. If I have my wife on the back my mileage goes......well I better not go there. The couch is not as comfy as it used to be.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
speedohealer

Hey XRiderChuck,

I bought my speedohealer from a company in California. I'm at work or else I could look up quickly and tell you the name. You might try to google and see what dealers come up.

Speedohealer works! My speedo is right on now and odometer is off ever so slightly, but in my favor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input CobrakidX. Through my 2nd tank of 87 octane now and got 40.8 mpg this time after my -7% odometer correction, just over 43 mpg if my odometer is correct. Thats on a mix of town and county road ridin', but gettin on the throttle pretty hard, windin her up. I'm happy. :D
 

·
Seat Dr
Joined
·
5,159 Posts
I don't know what did it or why it has happened but my speed-o is correct. I have checked using two differant chase cars and one police radar gun. When she says we are going 55 or 65 we are running that speed. I think it could have happened when I changed from spokes to C rims but the rear tires are the same size but I think the tubless tire may be a little taller than the tube tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those rims look good on that retroX, bro. Them healin your speedo is just gravy. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
XRiderChuck said:
Recently switched from 92 octane to 87
Of course im new to this but I thought I read on here that 92 octane was not good for the X? Im pretty sure I heard people were having problems with it and that it is recommended to run 87?

Can someone help me understand this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I switched after reading some of the same posts you've prolly read, and I didn't/don't really understand it either, but I do understand that a lot of the guys who post here have a lot of real knowledge, so I switched and I'm gettin the same performance, better milage, on cheaper gas. I ain't arguin! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I like the speedometer being off, scares the crap out of my girlfriend when she sees I'm going 90 but in reality I'm still legal! Course my shoulder hurts from being smacked all the time.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top