Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,don't shoot me...
On the bike i am looking at and thats in my other thread (2004 1800C)
I noticed the sticker where the VIN is supposed to be is not there.
Is there any other place on the frame to look or is it stamped anywhere else.
Every Honda i have seen has the sticker on the left front frame rail...
It just has me wondering.If i buy this bike i want to make sure it is what the seller says and the VIN is correct with the title.
The Shadow i owned a few years ago had the same sticker and i remember it was peeling up some but was still there..

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
WARNING... WILL ROBINSON... WARNING

The sticker should be where you say on one of the tubes... both mine are on left downtube

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WARNING... WILL ROBINSON... WARNING

The sticker should be where you say on one of the tubes... both mine are on left downtube
OH NO!!! I had a feeling that could be a bad sign.
The seller says it was not there when he bought it....
How do i tell if the title is for that bike?? Any other places it could be stamped?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd just ask the guy why its not there and if he can prove that it is what its supposed to be, but I'd still have a tough time dishing out any money. There should be a frame number stamped on the neck and a number stamped on the engine. Neither of those are the actual VIN though.

Mike

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really clean where the VIN should be....

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it were me I would take the bike with the seller to DMV and have it inspected to make sure it's ok,if it is all on the up and up he will go with if not that should answer all of your questions, there are lots of goooooood deals right now one one needs a issue with title. Be careful.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just ask the guy why its not there and if he can prove that it is what its supposed to be, but I'd still have a tough time dishing out any money. There should be a frame number stamped on the neck and a number stamped on the engine. Neither of those are the actual VIN though.

Mike
Well that sucks! I asked him and he said it was not there when he got the bike.
Can a dealer cross reference the the numbers on the frame and motor to match the VIN?

Sounds like i may be shopping around more...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If it were me I would take the bike with the seller to DMV and have it inspected to make sure it's ok,if it is all on the up and up he will go with if not that should answer all of your questions, there are lots of goooooood deals right now one one needs a issue with title. Be careful.
:agree:

The last thing you need is to be sitting on the side of the road with your riding buddys and a cop trying to determine if your bike is stolen, legal or whatever.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the search will continue.
Yea,A cop would give me a major hard time over no VIN...

Just got off the phone with the seller.He said the title is a Maryland title and he never registered it in his name and he bought it as a repo and drove up and picked the bike up with his truck.
He said he did call his insurance company to put coverage on it and the VIN he gave them from the title would not register in the insurance company computer.
This is getting really fishy!!:confused:
The lien thats on the title is released and the original owner signed off of the title.

This sounds like a big headache to get straightened out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Very smart Gary. Keep buisness... buisness. You don't want to get caught up in someone elses bad deal. I changed the frame on a bike once but was absolutely sure to keep the stock frame. The stock frame with the VIN went with the bike when I sold it. Keep looking :agree:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lots of other bikes out there, skip it and move on.

Mike

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If this was me, this bike would no longer be a consideration with what you know. As stated above, there are alot of good deals out there right now, take some more time and do some more looking, imo, you would be better off, this has a red flag flying big time.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think moving on is the right thing to do here. No sticker means you can't match it to the frame VIN (stamped onto the front of the frame head-stem I believe). The whole thing sounds a bit fishy.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea,kind of sucks...i love the lines of the bike and how it runs.
I may hit the local dealer tomorrow and see what they have...
The dealers around here want top price though..
Got to tell myself to be patient....:roll:

Thanks for all the advice guys! It really helps!!:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
RELAX WIL ROBINSON RELAX!!!

The sticker is only for show, and is not the true VIN location. The VIN is stampoed into the frame neck on the righthand side.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
The VIN# is stamped into the engine and frame, look for a while and you will find it. That crappy sticker fell off mine about the 3rd time I washed it at the car wash. I can't remember where exactly you find the #'s but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The VIN# is stamped into the engine and frame, look for a while and you will find it. That crappy sticker fell off mine about the 3rd time I washed it at the car wash. I can't remember where exactly you find the #'s but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out.
Yep, it is stamped on the right side of the steering neck, opposite side of the sticker. I would use the title problem as a bargaining chip. Right now he can only sell to someone who is too stupid to buy it or who has done the homework and knows how to fix the problem. Buy and only buy when the DMV or courthouse says you can be legal with no problem, just bring us A,B& C.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've read on this board where some hate stickers so much they remove all of them including the VIN stickers. Not a good idea.

Quote from one:

+1. Removed my VIN sticker the first week.

This does make it kind of hard to prove that the bike is legal.

I wouldn't even think about buying a bike that the VIN has been removed

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ask the seller which bank he bought it from. Call the bank, get the original owner's name and call him. Whatever you decide to do, seems like you're going through alot of cra-p for a bike that's already a little steep in price. IMO, I would forget this bike and move on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts