Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My 2002 1800s is running poorly. It started out sporadically but when I rode it the the shop this Saturday to get the fork seals replaced it rode poorly the whole way there. It's power feels like it's been halved but it doesn't necessarily seem like it's misfiring. It also idles slightly weakly. Turning the bike off and back on again does not solve the issue. The odometer/trip meter does not reset. It's still at the shop so I can't do any tests right now, but I'd like to brainstorm ideas. I've already done the ground fix about a month ago and I've changed the fpr.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Start by checking all of your ground connections and then the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).
Those two things seem to account for a big majority of the problems you describe.
If those don't do the trick, I'm sure others will come in with further help.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
... The odometer/trip meter does not reset. ...
The tripmeter button needs to be removed and cleaned with WD40 or something similar. I have to do mine every 2 to 3 years, takes about 20 minutes. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new button/switch is cheap. This problem is not related to the other issues you are having.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... The odometer/trip meter does not reset. ...
The tripmeter button needs to be removed and cleaned with WD40 or something similar. I have to do mine every 2 to 3 years, takes about 20 minutes. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new button/switch is cheap. This problem is not related to the other issues you are having.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. It does reset if I want to reset it, but it doesn't reset on it's own as it would if there was a loose battery terminal connection

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it have a fuel manager on it? These too, go bad with age. Try removing it from the bike and see if that is the culprit
Yes! It does have some kind of fuel commander crap. I'm not an EFI pro, more of a carb guy myself, therefore I'm as bright as the village idiot when it comes to electronics and wiring. How would be the best way to disconnect it? It has those problematic "vampire" connectors.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes! It does have some kind of fuel commander crap. I'm not an EFI pro, more of a carb guy myself, therefore I'm as bright as the village idiot when it comes to electronics and wiring. How would be the best way to disconnect it? It has those problematic "vampire" connectors.

I was going to say check the fuel sock and filter until fuel commander crap came uphad to remove one of those on my 1800.

My 2003 I had to change the filter and sock the sock was open on the end doing virtually nothing to help the filter survive.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The Power Commander III, aka...commander crap, is usually hanging down by the tool kit under the left side cover, and plugs in under the seat on top of the battery cover. Big white plug about 4 inches wide, just unplug it and find the original one right there next to it, plug it in. That bypasses it. If that fixes your problem you've found the the culprit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Power Commander III, aka...commander crap, is usually hanging down by the tool kit under the left side cover, and plugs in under the seat on top of the battery cover. Big white plug about 4 inches wide, just unplug it and find the original one right there next to it, plug it in. That bypasses it. If that fixes your problem you've found the the culprit.
I can't find any plugs "about four inches wide" other than one of the ones that plugs directly into the ECU. The wires coming out of my fuel manager ( which isn't labeled and therefore idk the brand of) connect to three wires under the seat with vampire clips. And one wire that leads to the - battery terminal. Can I just cut the damned wires? Will I have to re-splice the stock wires together?
Edit: I just went out to smell the exhaust and it has an unburnt gas smell. I took the k&n air filter out and dropped it in some degreaser to soak overnight since I won't be riding it today anyway. It was pretty ditry but by no means dirty enough to cause my symptoms

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like this...The two plugs will be under the seat on top of the battery. Main unit hanging down under the left side cover.
There are other models, Power Commander 5 may look different but this is what mine looks like.

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc31.jpg

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc32.jpg

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc33.jpg
mine looks completely different, it must be another brand or something. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and see if I can manage to post it. Let me post a practice picture now to see if I'm tech savvy enough to pull off.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the name on it is all we need to know. Cobra? Techlusion? etc.....
the sticker that has the brand is worn off and I can't find any paperwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what the vampire connectors attach to. They are disconnected right now but they are loosely wrapped around the wire they latched on to

Attachments

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Disconnect and remove. Cover missing, moisture,corrosion, component failure,etc..
Thank you for choosing the Techlusion Electronic Jet Kit, the TFI. The TFI is usable for sequential fuelinjection 2 cylinder Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, V-Rod, Victory, Yamaha motorcycles **.

http://www.tficontrollers.com/instructions/950111025.pdf

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I'll disconnect it and go for a test ride around town after work... Though it may be hard to shift or brake with both hands having thier fingers crossed. 😛

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the age and even disconnecting the vampire clips you have a very high probability of the strands of wire where the clips were being broken. It would be worth you while to strip back the insulation at the points, check them / solder or otherwise permanently fix those spots. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Pull apart lightly where the clips were.
If if breaks, fix it.
If it does not break:
1. try some heat on the insulation, usually will get flexible and you can push it apart if you want for inspection.
OR
2. Liquid rubber or hot glue to fill the gaps and add some cover where the clips were.
Than tape the affected wires to others.
Single wires tend to vibrate more than several bound together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I turned the bike on after disconnecting the fuel programmer and it still idled like ****. Let it warm up for about five minutes, the unburnt fuel smell ripe in the air, and then rode off. For the first five minutes it continued to ride like **** salad and ranch, but then while accelerating out of a turn it hit me like a 100 shot of nitrous in a stock SBC. All the power came back that had been so tragically robbed from me and the bike flew like a demon answering the summons of Satan himself. I guess the ECU just needed a few minutes to readjust the fuel ratio back to stoichiometry. Anyways thanks for all the help from everyone, I'm so damn happy to have my bike back to riding glory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts