Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of adjusting the valves and keep getting different readings. I snug down the lock nuts and check the gaps on both front and rear cylinder. Then turn the engine over with the starter and recheck. Each time I recheck the intake valves have a bigger gap than when I adiusted. .004 goes in smoothly and .005 is snug. The rears seem to stay where they should.
Not sure how to get a consistent setting so when I check them they are still within tolerance???
Mike c

·
Registered
214 Posts
you might try turning engine over by hand instead of using starter. Might give you more accurate readings...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I'd strongly suggest keep on using the starter to crank it over, after all, that more closely resembles what's really gonna happen when you lite it up. The lash will change slightly when you tighten down the lock nuts, how much depends on how loose you have the lock nut when you adjust the tappet. I try to keep the lock nut snug but enough so that I can still turn the adjuster. I try to get it so that the .004 has a pretty good drag, but difficult to get the .005 in, same process for exhaust. Then I use the starter and spin it over several times, and check again. Repeat process until you're comfortable that they all "feel" the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go-NOGO Feeler Gauges

I've always had real good luck using feeler gauges that are machined as go-no go gauges. It really takes away the "feel" guess work and there is no question what you have the valves set at. Either it will be .004" or not.
They step up the feeler gauge, so a .004" thickness will be on the go-no go gauge stamped .003"-.005". If you cannot slid the feeler under the rocker, your too tight. If you can slid the feeler all the way past the rocker, your too loose. That in-between is the sweet spot your looking for and there is no question it is right then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts