Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through a few pages of results when searching for my particular issue when starting my VTX1300c.

Most dealt with cold motorcycles or issues with the electrical or starter system.

My problem is different from those I found.

When my bike is hot and I stop for a break, it does not want to start unless I give it a quick snap of the throttle.

I do not winterize my bike other than to start putting Seafoam in the tank when the days start getting colder. I use a Battery Tender also. I ride as long as it is 40 or above all winter long.

I am wondering if I run a few tanks of gas through it with a slightly stronger Seafoam ratio if that could dissolve any crud or if there is something the Seafoam cannot get to that I need to look at.

The bike runs great, this is only a startup issue.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a hot starting issue. It always will start, even without throttle, but it turns over more than it takes when cold. It sound different than yours, because yours needs throttle, while mine doesn't.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with an answer for you, and also a possible answer for me.

I have just assumed for me, it was an issue with a cylinder being in the compression stroke and somehow causing an issue. Because if It was to sit and I assume lose compression over time, it would start right up.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
When my bike is hot and I stop for a break, it does not want to start unless I give it a quick snap of the throttle.
Snap of the throttle sprays a shot of fuel into carb throat.
Vacuum hoses are notorious for various issues. Check all vacuum hose ends.
if you have OEM hoses replace them.
There is a drain screw in the bowl.
Open it up and see if fuel is flowing good.
Petcock does strange things.
Fuel tank air vent, does air flow good??
How many miles???
Check slide valve diaphragm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts