Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 99% sure one of the fork seals has blown or is leaking on my bike. I live in Parsons, far east edge of West TN, is there anyone close willing to help me check this and repair it? Reasonable compensation of your choice is offered. :)

I have checked with a former mechanic of Creasey's Honda in Lexington, but he said he doesn't work on bikes any more. I have local wrench about two blocks away, but he won't do anything to "metrics".

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
seal install is not a Bad job can be , have you cked with Bobs in jackson , if you have tools it is a job tha the novice can handle with a view of a you tube video

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seal install is not a Bad job can be , have you cked with Bobs in jackson , if you have tools it is a job tha the novice can handle with a view of a you tube video
I checked at Bob's their quote was $80 for parts and 2.5 hours of labor at $70 per hour.

I have "some" tools. Have thought about trying myself, but don't have a good place to do it either really.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You can do both sides in the driveway First time figure on 30 minutes to an hour each side. Really not hard. A seal driver makes it easier. Have you watched the North Star riders video?

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
North Star Riders seem to be without a web page and the Facebook page is not current.

Sometimes some dirt/bug can get into the seal and keep it open.
Some thin plastic (like 35mm film) has been used to push foreign objects off the seal.
They also sell some plastic tools like that.

You should try to Google "vtxoa: fork seal" and that may shed some more light and suggestions.

A few pix that show some of the fork arrangement for a spring change.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/suspension/fork-spring-replacement-vtx-1300/

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
North Star Riders seem to be without a web page and the Facebook page is not current.

Sometimes some dirt/bug can get into the seal and keep it open.
Some thin plastic (like 35mm film) has been used to push foreign objects off the seal.
They also sell some plastic tools like that.

You should try to Google "vtxoa: fork seal" and that may shed some more light and suggestions.

A few pix that show some of the fork arrangement for a spring change.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/suspension/fork-spring-replacement-vtx-1300/
Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You need 8,9 and the lower seal part of 17. You don't need 23-dust boot if you don't burger it up. The seals don't have their own number but are sold in sets as fork seals at direct and on ebay. 8&9 I got from direct.

Fork oil is I think 10 or 15 weight, I can't remember and you need 15.5 oz for each side.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need 8,9 and the lower seal part of 17. You don't need 23-dust boot if you don't burger it up. The seals don't have their own number but are sold in sets as fork seals at direct and on ebay. 8&9 I got from direct.

Fork oil is I think 10 or 15 weight, I can't remember and you need 15.5 oz for each side.
So the actual seals are part of part 17, right?

Thanks, will call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have in stock.

Maybe I'll be back on the road soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts