Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered the block off plates to do the mod and I'm both apprehensive and excited to do it. Seems straightforward and yet I don't want to do it in mid day heat even in the shade.
Most days during the summer when it bobbles around 100+ it doesn't start cooling until maybe 6:30 or 7pm, so it doesn't leave much daylight.

At least I can put it under the car port for shade and have a fan to help keep me cool(ish).
Wish I had a garage or a shop do do it in.

At least I'm not in like Phoenix where is stays hotter there during the day when temps get to 115+ and they close the airport because the runway gets so hot that aircraft tires would explode on landing due to the big temp difference.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Time consuming, but not a hard job too do.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Read through it a couple times. Understand what it is you'll be doing, step by step, before you do it. Take your time, and don't be afraid to walk away from it at any point, and re-read it again. If at any point you get stuck, ask away here. We'll help you. I knew next to nothing when I decided I was just going to DO IT, and with Bareasschoppers.com's pix & instructions, it was not bad. It can be done as mentioned, in an hr. or so.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Look under rear of frame for that darn Soup Can. (Calif Model).
Extra stuff to deal with. Vegas is close enough you may have one!!!

Other wise its just time, not difficult at all....
Might save it for a later date, Fall is much cooler for working outside..

Or your welcome to haul buns down here (3 hrs??) and use my Garage & I will even help ya!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Or your welcome to haul buns down here (3 hrs??) and use my Garage & I will even help ya!!!

I like the floor of your garage. What is it made of?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I like the floor of your garage. What is it made of?
I had it ground down and Epoxy put on..
They used a giant floor grinding stone thing with Vacuum attached, no dust.
just shiny gray no flake... Love it...
Everything just wipes up. Paint, oil, brake fluid Etc.. $1200.....

Biggest problem I have is it looks dirty once or twice a year, so I go out and sweep & mop it..
See the mop bucket in pics?...
But I do love it............

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Frank,
I would have to gas up 2x's to get there.

Maybe if I put off the job till fall.
We both know it stays pretty warm until Oct/nov

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

very nice floor sir. is it slippery when wet?
never seen an expansion joint cut like that before.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Except for mounting the fairing and wiring the accessory plugs I'm not doing anything other than maintenance items until it gets cool again.

I hate having the bike down when the sun is out...... Maybe if you get a couple days of rain, then you could easily do it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the plates are supposed to be here tomorrow and I want to get a head start on getting stuff off and ready, but the weather people don't know what the hell. Earlier they said it will be gusty sat and sun. Now there is no mention of winds. Arrrrrgh.
Guess I will see in the morning what the report is.
I don't recall seeing the charcoal canister under my bike Frank, so I should be good to go there.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, pair valve mod completed. Took me maybe 1.5 hrs.

I have 2 suggestions to add in the process.
1) unbolt coil pack over the front cylinder to make it a little easier to get at the inside bolt with the socket. It would be best to use a 1/4 drive socket and wrench without a extension and universal.
It's a bit too difficult to get at with an off set box end wrench and not quite enough room to get at it behind the coil.
2) On the rear cylinder, if you move the hard line just outside of the plastic clip, you can get at the inside bolt easier.
After putting in the block off plates you can get to the bolts with an offset wrench.

Just a couple of quick tips.

Peace all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Now- that wasn't bad, was it? More of the 'fear of doing the unknown' than actually doing it. Thats why we're all still here, to help anyone where we can.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wasn't so much fear but lack of self confidence to do it correctly and not take a day to do it. :grin:
I was fairly positive as I'm quite mechanically inclined. Just never did anything like that.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I think at one time or another, we've all been there with you in the lack of confidence thing. For me, it's making up my mind to just do it, then dive in. After having as much knowledge as I can glean before starting. Electrical stuff scares me more than mechanical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts