Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 1300S has been sitting all winter. Stabil in fuel and on a tender. Will turn over fine. Tried to crank once and now acts like it's not getting fuel. Will not crank. Turned the petcock and it isn't turning smoothly. Seems to stick some when it gets into a position(on, off, res) Never felt the sticking before. Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to save a trip to the shop. Thanks

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I hate the terminology, turns over but wont crank. I think your saying the starter and all works but the engine is not firing. The first thing to determine is ....a fuel problem, or an ignition problem. I would pull the fuel line off the petcock, place a rag or plastic cup under the petcock, turn fuel on and crank engine. You should get a flow of fuel from the petcock!!!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I hate the terminology, turns over but wont crank. I think your saying the starter and all works but the engine is not firing. The first thing to determine is ....a fuel problem, or an ignition problem. I would pull the fuel line off the petcock, place a rag or plastic cup under the petcock, turn fuel on and crank engine. You should get a flow of fuel from the petcock!!!!!

Plus 1 on terminology. I wish people would say "motor turns over but won't start" or at least say "motor cranks but won't start". Then we would all know what is going on. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
1st: Do what Heffly said about pulling the fuel line to the carb (at the carb end) and stick it in a small plastic bowl like a cool whip bowl.
Turn over the bike and see if fuel flows. No fuel then replace the vacuum line from the carb to petcock and repeat. (oh yeah, make sure the petcock is in the on position)
Still no fuel flow? then get a petcock rebuild kit. About $30 (over priced for what it is. spring and gasket set)

2nd: Got fuel. Pull a front spark plug. Plug it back into coil wire. Hold the edge against a cooling fin and press the starter. If it sparks, repeat with the rear cylinder. If it sparks, repeat the process on the other side. IF any plug looks oily then just goto your parts store and ask for a NGK DCPR6E spark plug set. There are 4 needed. Gap them to 0.9 to 1.1mm (.039-.044) This is a smaller gap and gives a hotter spark. Trust me, it will work fine. Use copper antiseize compound on the threads lightly. The heads are Al and the plug is Fe and the Cu just adds another element to prevent galvanic action if it goes a long time between changes. Plus it keeps them from locking up and stripping out a plug hole in the head.
Still not running? see 3.

3rd: your carb may be hosed. Let's see.
  • Check and make sure your choke isn't pulled out from the carb. (it is actually an enricher, but we will use simple names.)
  • Make sure the nut at the carb is tightened for the choke knob.
  • Pull it out ad let it turn over a few times . If it starts, slowly push it back in and use the throttle to feather it to keep the RPMs up ~1500-2k for about a minute or two. Then slowly increase the RPMs for a minute at a time until it is good and hot. Release the throttle and make sure that the RPMs stay at 850-1k RPMs.
  • If it didn't start. Pull a front plug and check for fuel. If it is soaking wet then it is flooded. Pull all the plugs and let it air out. Meanwhile get a short stick and take off the air-box cover. Put the stick o the float bowl and give it a few taps with a hammer to see if the float might be stuck.
  • Re-install plugs and try starting again. If no-go the the carb needs to be cleaned.
  • To do this o the bike. Take off the air-box. loosen the clamps that the intake attaches to the cylinder heads. turn the carb until the float bowl is where you can take it off.
  • Remove the jets. clean thoroughly each jet with Sea foam spray or spray carb cleaner. spray up into the passages in the carb. make sure the float and float valve move freely.
  • Reassemble and try dumping the fuel and replacing with fresh non-ethanol with about 6-8 oz of seafoam in it.
  • If it doesn't start now, then it needs to go to a good independent mechanic because I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus 1 on terminology. I wish people would say "motor turns over but won't start" or at least say "motor cranks but won't start". Then we would all know what is going on. :banghead:
That really helps me determine the problem. If you have no advice, why post a reply. Apparently you knew what the hell I meant. At least heffly gave me something to try along with his terminology lecture. I'll return to my corner now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts