Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the stockers on my '06 1800C. I really like the look of a drag bar and figure because of my height (6'3"), it should allow me to stretch out on the bile a little and won't be a problem as far as comfort goes.

I really like the look of the Baron Xtreme's, but they're quite pricey and require the additional cost of their gauge pod if I want to mount my speedo.

Was wondering if I could duplicate the height and pull back with a set of plain old risers and say a Flanders Drag bar, or something similar, that would allow me to retain the OEM gauge pod?

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternatives?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'm 6'5" and I'm totally happy with the factory drag bars on my 1800F.
Tall doesn't always dictate the features. Maybe state where your preferred hand location would be compared to the factory handle bars? That would help figure out if this is a risers type solution or if you'll be happier swapping out the entire handle bars.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, part of the reason the bars are being swapped out, is because they're bent. Previous owner laid the bike down on its side and tweaked them a little. I mean....I could probably safely wrench them back into place, but I thought this might be an opportunity for a bar upgrade. That and I've also liked the flatter look of a drag bar on these bikes.

I do really like the Baron's above....but sinking near $700 into a set of bars isn't in the cards for me. I've got to think the look and position could be duplicated with a less expensive riser and flat bar combo that wouldn't require me to buy another pod, to replace my stocker?

Nate, your bike also looks like its sporting an aftermarket seat that has you sitting a little lower in the saddle? That's got to give you the same type of mechanical leverage as a taller set of bars would, would it not?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canada man....$300 for the bars, $125 for the pod, exchage rate, taxes, duties....blah, blah, blah. Bet pretty close to $700 by the time I got them to my door

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree....may look a little goofy if too tall....but maybe slightly taller than stock? After all....when you break it down, the Baron's are essentially just a drag bar on a taller riser. They just come together as a single package. I guess what I'm saying is that I like the concept of the Baron bars....I simply want to attempt to duplicate it (or close to) for a lot less cost. I'd be on them already if they could encorporate the stock gauge pod, but their design necessitates the use of their pod....which in the end makes for an awfully expensive set of handlebars. That and I figured if I was working with the drag bars and risers as separate entities, I could fine tune the height and pull back in a way that best suits my riding position?

Guess I'll have to do some playing around with it when I get my front end back on the bike. Fork tubes are on their way from the UK as we speak.

Getting a serious itch. Everyone here is out riding and mines sitting up on the jack in the garage, with no front end on it. :frown:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I agree....may look a little goofy if too tall....but maybe slightly taller than stock?
Stock bars are raised, not flat, so if you want the same height with a flat bar, you need taller risers. If you want it higher than stock, you need even taller risers. I'd go to a different direction.
Maybe, you can find a cheap mounting cup for the speedo, which you can mount on a different bar than OEM.
I put bars from a custom Big Bear Chopper on my blue bike. Paid $50 for the used bars, had to cut in the middle (H style bar), extend and reweld, but looks good now on the VTX. So possibilities are endless...

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
The first step in deciding what bar/risers to choose is getting a measurement of what you want; How high up, how far back, and angle or not and how angled how much?

How high up and back can be solved by risers if you want a flat, straight type bar, and angled can be determined what bar you buy (e.g. flat with angled back ends). Cost may be cheaper with a bar/risers combo, depending on how fancy each is. Always consider your cables, as going too far high or back could mean having to buy new clutch, throttle and even brake lines.

I like to buy used if I can find what I want, so find what you can't want and can't afford and see if ebay has it selling used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
The first step in deciding what bar/risers to choose is getting a measurement of what you want; How high up, how far back, and angle or not and how angled how much?

How high up and back can be solved by risers if you want a flat, straight type bar, and angled can be determined what bar you buy (e.g. flat with angled back ends). Cost may be cheaper with a bar/risers combo, depending on how fancy each is. Always consider your cables, as going too far high or back could mean having to buy new clutch, throttle and even brake lines.

I like to buy used if I can find what I want, so find what you can't want and can't afford and see if ebay has it selling used. I did this with a seat I wanted and was able to buy a new condition $500.00 seat I wanted for $150.00!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
OLD SCHOOL:

Fuel tank Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Reactions: nate6966
1 - 16 of 16 Posts