Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help, but it was all for not. Those dang pipes are still hot as heck. I let it idle while I put the seat back on and in that short time it burned my leg just to sit on it, just as before :shock: I have the HK 2.5 American straights w/ stock air box. I used one shim, cut the tit on the needle holder, and trimmed the spring to about 5-1/16, adjusted the a/f screw to about 2-1/2 turns from off. I am at a loss. Whats next? If anyone has these pipes can you please tell me if yours are just that hot. It melted the nylon strap on my book bag in maybe a second, I am not exaggerating! they are ok while I am ridding but I must be careful when at a light and setting it on the stand :shock: :cry: Oh that smarts!!! My main concern is damage to the motor, plugs look ok so far gonna get new ones since I did the scar. Input appreciated. Sorry to be a pain on this but I am at a loss

G

·
Are you of the belief that if it has a heat shield that it shouldn't be hot enough to melt a nylon strap? The heat shield will cut down on some of the heat coming from the pipes, but not the majority. Their "other" purpose is to hide the blueing.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Glennok said:
Are you of the belief that if it has a heat shield that it shouldn't be hot enough to melt a nylon strap? The heat shield will cut down on some of the heat coming from the pipes, but not the majority. Their "other" purpose is to hide the blueing.
What he said.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know they get hot but I figured they would be as hot as the stock pipes not this much hotter!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess since no one elsees smeem to get this hot ( according to them anyway) I am just afraid of messing the motor up. I guess I'll check the plugs after I ride it for a week or so.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Glennok said:
If your plugs aren't showing signs of being lean, I wouldn't worry about it.
What he said.

They're exhaust pipes, man. They're exausting the air that was recently victim of a rapid explosion... that's what happens. The heat shields help the radiant heat from overwhelming your legs and other close extremities, but they're certainly not going to be cool or even just warm. They're hot.... as for nylon, they'll melt that, they'll melt skin, and they'll melt a good portion of just about anything else you wanna touch against 'em.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
caswensk said:
Glennok said:
If your plugs aren't showing signs of being lean, I wouldn't worry about it.
What he said.

They're exhaust pipes, man. They're exausting the air that was recently victim of a rapid explosion... that's what happens. The heat shields help the radiant heat from overwhelming your legs and other close extremities, but they're certainly not going to be cool or even just warm. They're hot.... as for nylon, they'll melt that, they'll melt skin, and they'll melt a good portion of just about anything else you wanna touch against 'em.
+1 And I might add that regardless of whether you wear shorts in the summer when you ride you are to expect that you will burn your thigh. I quit riding wearing shorts after two very painful burns. They will also become hot even if you are riding in the rain as my rainsuit is now part of my exhaust. Only thing that scares me even more than getting burnt by my pipes is that one of these days the baby girl is going to come out and touch it when I get home from a ride and burn herself. :evil: :cry: Hope that day never comes. Bottom line is that the pipes are gonna get hot, really hot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.