Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any other way to do the Desog pair removal with out back off plates. I plugged the hole per bares instructions to test how the bike would run and it ran perfect. As soon as I took the plug out , gurggling at low Rpm's cruising speed. There has to be another way instead of waiting for that Brown truck again.

VTXED Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just keep the hoses plugged. You don't have to use the plates. All you really have to do is put a plug in the hoses.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I can't remember the exact size, but you get an assortment of rubber vacuum caps at any auto parts store. Use a little RDV silicone on the reed valve nipple, slide on the cap, give it a little turn to make sure it seals all the way round, then put a plastic zip tie around that and you're good to go. I've also heard of guys using a rubber stopper to plug inside the valve nipple, but the caps worked well for me and I've had it done now for over 2 years. I'd be worried that the stopper could deteriorate and bits of it fall into the reed valve.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I remember correctly you do NOT want to just block off the hoses and leave everything there; you will get condensation build-up. Read the walkthrough on www.bareasschoppers.com for the details.

One option is to remove all the extra hoses and such, leave the reed valves in place, and put a vacuum plug (with RTV sealant) over where the hose used to connect. You'll have to check it every once in a while to make sure the plug isn't breaking down and leaking, but it will save you from buying block-off plates. :wink:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I know ya don't have 2 have the block-off plates but I don't understand. When compared 2 other stuff ya buy 4 ya scoot they ain't a drop in the bucket. I can appreciate not wanting 2 wait on the truck..........

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
x

Dude it's not that, it's I just got done spending $$ on pipes PC111 Dyno and want my bike to run good like now. I thought that's what the PC111 was for to adjust all that so you didn't have to mess with all of this.pair valve and desmogI know I have to wait for the Brown Truck but think it sucks that after spending all this $$$ I still don't have a bike that sounds and runs the way I like it. When I had a PC111 and pipes added to my Harley that's all it took not block off plates and desmog and all this other bull shit. Now you know where I'm coming from.

VTXED

·
Registered
114 Posts
i hate waiting too...but it's an iffy week weather wise here so i've got her all apart and i'm waiting for the brown truck..plates already ordered..the way i look at it is it's a couple of hours to do it the right way and not have to worry about it again...more time in the long run to enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Neither the price of the block off plates nor the wait for them to arrive was the issue for me. The issue is, when the EPA gets around to inspecting your bike and insisting that you restore the emissions control equipment that came on it... and you have destroyed your reed valves to do this mod... now you have the price of the reed valves to add to the equation and the wait for those to arrive... why risk it? I'm sure Honda will make a killing on that part when the time comes. And the backorder time will be extensive.

Florida is already rattling on about adopting CA emissions standards. Next step is likely redux of the vehicle inspection station and mandatory annual checkups...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Like I said, just remove all the crap and put a $0.25 vac plug over the reed valve....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Dude, 650 posts but ya didn't know ? Allow me 2 lift a phrase from a fellow Rkansun, "I feel your pain".

By the time they adopt emission test here what's left of my X will have been melted down 2 sumpthin else. 4 those that have 2 deal w/EPA see above quotation....................

·
Registered
970 Posts
HairOnFire said:
The issue is, when the EPA gets around to inspecting your bike and insisting that you restore the emissions control equipment that came on it... and you have destroyed your reed valves to do this mod... now you have the price of the reed valves to add to the equation and the wait for those to arrive... why risk it? I'm sure Honda will make a killing on that part when the time comes....
C'mon your going to worry about the government getting it's act together. :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I TALKED TO A SUPERVISOR AT A EMISSION TEST STATION IN ADDISON ILL.HE SAID HE DID NOT KNOW ANY THING ABOUT TESTING BIKES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.

·
Registered
306 Posts
want to do the smog thing without disconecting anything and back to stock in about one min. without any water build up in the lines over time. get a rubber plug and the smalest hollow drift pin u can find put the hollow drift pin threw the rubber plug open up the air box insert the rubber plug with the hollow drift pin into the recircle air spot in the air box. thats it put back on your air cleaner cover. what u just did was restrict the air to the pair vave and smog system that it wont build up with water over time and it is restricted 98% i have been running this way for 2 yrs now with out a pop,fart, or hesatation and the motor runs smooth as glass. with a modified air cleaner,drags with monstas,teckclusion. works perfect and the cost was 1.50 for both parts at home depo and 10 min of work .why spend halph the day disconecting the smog stuff when u can restrict the flow down to 98% so it still works but not enough to efect anything.try this first i bet u wont need to do anything more except get a better retune of your aftermarket fuel management . my teckclusion settings now have been the same for two yrs and running great whatever the weather is.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Only problem with the rubber caps is that they develop cracks in them over time and begin to leak. Block-off plates is definitely the way to go for long-term reliability.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.