Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 05 VTX 1300R with silly low miles. Haven't ridden in 6 years and looking forward to warmer weather up here in Maryland. Anyway, I am looking to add saddlebags (never owned them on any bike) and curious about vinyl vs. leather and who's do you reccomend. I saw some vinyl Saddlemen bags that I liked. Also about what is the best way to mount (with or without brackets and whose).
Three other quick questions.
Can someone recommend a backrest system as I am inclined to go with Hondas.
Is anyone using Honda's Boulevard Shield and how is it ?
If you have done a Clayton Mod on the exhaust, are you still happy with results...any backfiring.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time and offers guidance. I hope in the future I can assist someone else.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome! Saddleman bags are good weather bags. They will handle the rain and water well. Leather bags get wet the sad

dleman bags don't. I have the throw over bags and cobra supports they work well.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Welcome to the X World!!! :thumbup: I had Saddlemen bags mounted to Easy Brackets a long time ago. The bags were nice, but the backs eventually cracked. I've heard they are now making some better bags that are more rigid and maybe even quick-release type. If you're on a budget, they're pretty nice for the price. If you can afford something built better, there are several other brands out there: LeatherLyke. Boss Bags, River Road, US Saddlebags, and a ton more.

I have the Honda Deluxe Backrest system, amd it is very nice. You can find an exact knock-off on eBay by a company called "Bestem" for a little cheaper than the Honda one. The Deluxe is not a quick-release, but it can be put on/taken off fairly easily. If you want a quick-release type, check out the Paladin backrest made by National Cycle.

I don't have any first-hand experience with your last two questions...others will chime in, I'm sure.

Also, we have a pretty good "search" feature on the board (link is above). You could do some searching while waiting for responses. Try it out...if you don't get good results the first time, keep trying different seach terms. You'll eventually get all the info you could possibly want.

Take care!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The wind screen is great. It's a Memphis Shades Fats 21". THe bags are Saddleman Jumbos with cobra supports.

·
Registered
877 Posts
river road slant large bags $130.00.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry i cant help with the windscreen or the bags ... although i am looking for some myself. However i can comment on the Clayton Mod. I had no backfire in the 4 months with the mod i did like the deeper sound but after awhile it wasnt enough. So i went with the cobra slash downs and very pleased. Though i can say if you are looking for alittle bit of noise and deeper sound and not that much, it is a very inexpensive way to get that. So i am for the clayton mod and would do it again. 8)

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I did the claton mod 2 years ago. I am up to 7 holes in each pipe with a 9/16 bit. My wife rides a lot with me and likes her mp3 player. She is OK with the noise but I won't make it any louder, I am happy with it. No popping at all and still have the pair valve system fully intact.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Boulevard shield and love it. If you are looking for something to keep all the wind off of you you should look elsewhere but it does a great job keeping the wind off your chest and redirecting the bugs, plus it looks really cool. I have a set of River Road compact saddlebags which work great but I would recommend the larger ones. I had them on my 750 Aero and they looked perfect but they are a little small on the X IMHO and that is why I don't have them mounted. I do have a set of Cobra supports just sitting since I am not using them but they work great. I went with the Hondaline low backrest in keeping the theme of a low looking bike.
Here is a couple of pics.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Welcome aboard and :congrats:.

It looks like you have found the search feature and have already started doing your homework. I have the Tourmaster bags on my bike. Not really much different than the rest but they zip off so I can carry them in where I am staying. They have held up very well also.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I just bought an 05 VTX 1300R with silly low miles. Haven't ridden in 6 years and looking forward to warmer weather up here in Maryland. Anyway, I am looking to add saddlebags (never owned them on any bike) and curious about vinyl vs. leather and who's do you reccomend. I saw some vinyl Saddlemen bags that I liked. Also about what is the best way to mount (with or without brackets and whose).
Three other quick questions.
Can someone recommend a backrest system as I am inclined to go with Hondas.
Is anyone using Honda's Boulevard Shield and how is it ?
If you have done a Clayton Mod on the exhaust, are you still happy with results...any backfiring.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time and offers guidance. I hope in the future I can assist someone else.:banghead:
I use the Cobra backrest and luggage rack (more of a flag mount rack). You can usually get these gently used on eBAY for a lot less $$.

As for saddlebags, I like the leather ones better if for no other reason than when your Harley riding friends ask you if the stuff you have on your bike is "pleather", you can honestly say no ;)

I've got a set of heavy leather bags on my 1300S which look nice. Got 'em off eBAY for like $200. That said, I do have a set of LeatherLykes awaiting installation since they actually carry enough to be useful. I've had those LL's for months and the only thing that's stopping me form installing them is that my current leather bags look better on my bike. My leather bags didn't need any protective mounts,

http://members.cox.net/oasysco/vtx13002.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts