Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I know folks who use FT's and like them. They are very light. I use a Dry Rider 2 piece. The pants have suspenders and look like firefighter gear, fit way up on the chest. This set just kept me dry for over 600 miles while riding down to FL. The only down side I found was getting too close to the exhaust causing some melting upon contact. I also highly recommend a good pair of rain boots 'cause I never found any leather boot that is 100% waterproof. I tried "Treds" and they are great, cost about $30. and will save your expensive boots. A bit heavy but can't be beat for rough weather. They slide over the boots. Treds boots are reviewed on the website "www.webbikeworld.com".

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The wife and I both wear F.T. i like them do to the space they take up in my saddle bags, they stay on the bike at all times.my only grip is the melt to easily when the touch my rear pipe next to the cylinder.

·
Registered
617 Posts
RAIN GEAR

:D IMHO frog togs blow.. I bought a set at honda homecoming after someone lifted my first gear set... they are nice and light but suck in heavy rain... sold them on ebay and bought another set of first gear... which I have never had any problem with... rode 7 hours in a downpour (had to get home) and only my waterproof boots leaked. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I rode from Pittsburgh to Kentucky, in the rain, and didnt get wet in my FT's. They do breathe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only thing I don't like about my FT are that if you even touch your exhaust with them it will eat a hole right through.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I've had FirstGear Splash jacket and pants for almost 2 yrs now, they stay in my backpack. Only complaint on the pants are they're too short for my 36"+ inseam, but then, they all are. They also do a good job of deflecting the wind over my leathers when it gets cold, so I use them pretty much year round. Never had a problem with the pants melting to the pipe.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Definitely do not go for the cheap PVC rainsuits.
They rip apart into small patches at highway speeds
and besides getting wet, you could get a ticket for littering.
Been there, done that.

Now using Frogg Toggs rainsuit, tan color to reflect
headlights of other traffic in rain and darkened roads.

Could not stand the orange, but tan is okay.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The wife and I use First Gear Rainman jackets and pants. It is nylon vs pvc and has a heat resistant panel on the pants from the knee down. With most rain gear they will melt if you touch the exhaust. These wont. They are a little pricey but I got mine from PowerSports4Less.com . Best prices I could find.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love my FT's! I have ridden several hours in the heavy rain (alot during the last Hoot) and stayed dry. I agree on the good boots someone mentioned. Well worth the money for waterproof boots! I'll buy more Toggs when these go bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rain suits.

'I have three rain suits and one "cold, crappy, foul weather suit".
My favorite is one issued to me by AT&T Broad band. It's ripstop nylon, has a hood, a very ample cuff gusset,(you don't have to take your boots off), reflective piping, made in Bangladesh!
Pockets get soggy :!: Most important, my employer paid for it :!:

My second choice I bought at Wal-Mart. Manufactured in Indonesia under the brand name "Stearns". The facing is poly-vinyl cloride, 70% and the back is nylon, 30% Has a hood, seems sturdier than my first choice, but doesn't roll-up as compactly. Gotta take the boots off, soggy pockets. :cry:

#3 is Hein Gericke's "Regenkombi", made in China. Isn't everything?
No hood, but I suppose that's why God gave us the balaklava. Gotta take the boots off. Needs reflectivity. On the plus side, It's designed for motorcyclists. Has a cordury lining at the collar, three pockets, dry, and a very good YKK zipper with a storm flap secured by Velco its full length.

All three keep me dry, except around the burn hole near my right knee :oops:

Whatever you choose, when you roll them up, secure them with a few of those little, bitty, skinny ass'd, bungee cords. Use'm to keep the pants from flappin'!
This could be the start of "Bungee Bondage" :idea:
The foul weather suit is also Hein Gericke, removable armour makes it easier to roll up, but still bulky. Made in Indonesia. Warm, dry, except around the right knee, you know,....... the burn hole.
Warm zip lining, four pockets out side, one inside, trouser pockets, all dry.
The fly is a bit of an ordeal. Try to plan your urinations :idea:
No hood, see reference to "balaklava" :!:
Haven't needed my electric vest in years, although, the Widder gloves are so nice at times.
You have to consider the realities of the ride. Is rain possible, likely, guarenteed! Or, is it gunna snow. If you live in Florida, you can get by with a light rain suit.
Chicago, however, is an other matter.

* Indecision is the key to flexibility.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Went on a ride around lake superior, people tell me it is a beautiful ride. We wouldn't know since it rained (and 50 degrees) the whole way. All 4 of us had FT's, I stayed reasonably dry, however my wife (she has a virago) got soaked. Our friends stayed dried, but they ride gold wings, they are practically indoors. :lol: And yes they do melt! I will scond, or third or whatever the recomendations for good waterproof boots my feet were soaked and cold! :evil:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My first choice for durable rain gear is a Austrailan oilskin drover's coat and a set of leg coverings from Hopnel. I've had the coat leak a little in a severe downpour, but in anything other than a monsoon I've stayed dry. My view on the benefit of this choice is that it breathes, and if it's hot and humid you definitely want rain gear that can breathe. One big thing that I like about this outfit though is that it looks GREAT riding down the road! 8)

My second choice or when I'm on the wing would have to be the FT. They provide great protection (I have the bottoms that are like a fireman's coveralls), are light weight and only fill a small stuff sack when stored. :D

As far as boots go, I have worn Cruiserwerks side zip boots for four years now and have yet to have them leak, a bit pricey, but worth it! I even found myself accidently standing in a 5 inch puddle of water last year with out realizing it until my fellow riders started laughing, but I definitely had the last laugh! :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like frogg toggs. I did change my strategy on color for the second set. Lots of folks go with the lighter colored for visibility, as did I. This necessitated more frequent washings. After about four washings, my toggs didn't stop the rain anymore. I am not sure that I did not violate some rule of washing but I am sure I ruined them.

I liked them enough that I bought a second pair, black. Haven't had to wash them yet and they are looking good. Hopefully I have enough other visibility items to keep me from being run into.

One more point, I think the benefit of Frogg Toggs increases the more your area of the country causes you to get wet (sweat) just from wearing many of the other rain suits. In Florida the breathability is important.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've heard many good things about Frogg Toggs. I have no personal experience with them. I have TourMaster Elite rain gear (with the Nomex on the legs). They're great in a heavy downpour. My only complaint is that they don't breath too well.

Though, if you're looking to lose a couple pounds, wait for a hot, rainy day, put on your suit and head out. Guaranteed to lose some weight. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts