Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scratched up my left side crankcase covers over time. Just wondering if there's a way to get them out, or at least make them less noticeable.

Kfox
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
64,333 Posts
Unfortunately, no. Once chrome is scratched, it's scratched. It is a very, very thin layer of very soft metal. Nothing like paint that is very, very thick in comparison that can be polished out. If you try polishing chrome the area ends up looking worse than when you started as polish will put very small scratches in the chrome and it ends up looking dull or hazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,872 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
Unfortunately, no. Once chrome is scratched, it's scratched. It is a very, very thin layer of very soft metal. Nothing like paint that is very, very thick in comparison that can be polished out. If you try polishing chrome the area ends up looking worse than when you started as polish will put very small scratches in the chrome and it ends up looking dull or hazy
I can attest to that. I polished my chrome, not knowing about this and all it did was make it a little duller. Lucky for me I did it in small amounts so it's barely noticeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
The good thing about plasti-chrome is that is cheaper to replace than real chrome pieces. Check out Hdl oem site. I just got a speedo housing for like 30 or 40 dollars. I think the piece your talking about goes for a little over 100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. I emailed Handler about rechroming them and he had said that sometimes there are things he can do without going through the whole rechroming process but he couldn't say for sure until I sent them to him, so I figured I'd ask here and maybe I could do it myself. I didn't want to ask him directly because he would be telling how to do something that would keep him from getting the work. I looked into buying them, but the 3 pieces total over $400. That's awful steep.

Kfox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
I figured they lasted 5 years in my case and was time for a few new ones. I buy them one at a time so it doesn't seem as bad. The problem is the get scratched pretty easily so I just wait for that one big scratch that bothers me before I replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
Kfox said:
Hmmm. I emailed Handler about rechroming them and he had said that sometimes there are things he can do without going through the whole rechroming process but he couldn't say for sure until I sent them to him, so I figured I'd ask here and maybe I could do it myself. I didn't want to ask him directly because he would be telling how to do something that would keep him from getting the work. I looked into buying them, but the 3 pieces total over $400. That's awful steep.

Kfox
The three "plastic" parts total:$274.51..........................The left side cover(that the dip stick screws down in) is chromed alloy............................The one left side Plastic:11380-mem-670 $100.76

Right covers Plastic: 11350-mem-670 $119.75/11340-mem-670 $54.00..........Rod :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The three "plastic" parts total:$274.51..........................The left side cover(that the dip stick screws down in) is chromed alloy............................The one left side Plastic:11380-mem-670 $100.76

Right covers Plastic: 11350-mem-670 $119.75/11340-mem-670 $54.00..........Rod

The left side piece that you listed is only the front piece. I also would need the rear piece which is over $200.

I think I'm going to wait until I get my stuff back from BD's and see exactly how the color scheme looks and decide wether or not I want to paint them black or replace/rechrome them.

Kfox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
Kfox said:
The three "plastic" parts total:$274.51..........................The left side cover(that the dip stick screws down in) is chromed alloy............................The one left side Plastic:11380-mem-670 $100.76

Right covers Plastic: 11350-mem-670 $119.75/11340-mem-670 $54.00..........Rod

The left side piece that you listed is only the front piece. I also would need the rear piece which is over $200.

I think I'm going to wait until I get my stuff back from BD's and see exactly how the color scheme looks and decide wether or not I want to paint them black or replace/rechrome them.

Kfox
Actually the piece I listed was the rear piece that covers the drive shaft & shifter linkage.You are correct about the $200.00+ cost(front cover).The reason I didn't list it was it is the part I mentioned that is made of alloy & NOT plastic.This would be by far the worst part to replace as it is sealed & is a part of the engine as it contains the oil (the dipstick screws into this)This part has REAL chrome & should be by far the hardest & hardest to scratch part.......................................... http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fi ... /3112_LEFT%

Hope this has been of some use...................... :D Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the piece I listed was the rear piece that covers the drive shaft & shifter linkage.You are correct about the $200.00+ cost(front cover).
You're right. I had that backwards. I didn't realize that piece would be so difficult to replace. Luckily it is in the best shape of the 3.

Kfox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
do you know or anyone else knowa where i can get the left rear cover for a 2006 VTX1300R. the cover is the one to the right of the oil stick...thanks spark188... PM me if anybody knows.. the honda shop where i live wants $180 for the cover..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
spark188 said:
do you know or anyone else knowa where i can get the left rear cover for a 2006 VTX1300R. the cover is the one to the right of the oil stick...thanks spark188... PM me if anybody knows.. the honda shop where i live wants $180 for the cover..

Here: http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp Use the Search By Parts Diagram (Fiche) & select left crankcase cover........11380-mem-670 $100.76



.................. :D Rod
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top