Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-9-PC-Saddlebags-HONDA-BMW-HARLEY-YAMAHA-KAWASAKI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84146QQihZ006QQitemZ160296425060QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm in the market for the cheapest saddle bags and this appears to be the most bang for the buck. we are planning a big trip and i dont want to spend a ton of money getting my bike rigged for a road trip, but i need them to be decently durable.
Any body out there have any experience with these good or bad.

On a side not im thinking of building some homemade sissy bar and saddle bag mounts soon. once again looks are no issue i just want cheap and funtional prolly end up painting it black.
I have access to a decent ammount of metal working stuff too. cutting tources welders and such.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
824 Posts
A friend of mine got that same setup from a different place except no saddlebags and the sissy bar bag has held up pretty good for her, she's had it about a year.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Anything with "buffalo plate" is major questionable. Will it stay together in the rain? Most people, myself included tend to put 10% overcapacity into each bag for a trip. Then we stretch the straps so it doesn't pop out on US 40. Buffalo is probably ok in good weather. But those stiches and glue could be a disaster after a rain.
I found some really good throw over bags made from black canvas from Teknic. They were around $50 and were expandable. We went two weeks on them and a trunk and a headlight bag. Sure we looked like "The Beverly Hillbillies"!! But what a wonderful trip. I think we did 3800 miles. Enclosed is a pic of the Teknic bags and the bike. Only problem was one of the straps wore the finish because it wasn't tight enuff to the rear blinker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Anything with "buffalo plate" is major questionable. Will it stay together in the rain? Most people, myself included tend to put 10% overcapacity into each bag for a trip. Then we stretch the straps so it doesn't pop out on US 40. Buffalo is probably ok in good weather. But those stiches and glue could be a disaster after a rain.
I found some really good throw over bags made from black canvas from Teknic. They were around $50 and were expandable. We went two weeks on them and a trunk and a headlight bag. Sure we looked like "The Beverly Hillbillies"!! But what a wonderful trip. I think we did 3800 miles. Enclosed is a pic of the Teknic bags and the bike. Only problem was one of the straps wore the finish because it wasn't tight enuff to the rear blinker.

Where'd ya git the small farm animal for the seat :shock:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
lol. took me a second. Last year at Sturgis, a sheep baaaaaaaaacked into my path. I hit that thing at 70 mph. My wife screamed "What's Up??" I calmly replied "Muttin. what's up with you?" There were many farm animals near our campsite. I thought we were going to be able to leave town relatively quiet. The next morning the cops arested us for killing the sheep. I asked the officer how he knew it was us. He said "The pig squealed."

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
I tend to stay away from any of the pieced together stuff.
Just don't see how it can be very durable with that many seams.
Think I'd rather spend a little bit more money on something a bit more durable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts