Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for more sound? was it hard to do? How were the results? did it require any retuning or the like. I like the looks of the pipes but wouldn't mind a bit more noise. Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
VTX exhaust

Contact the good people at vtxexhaust.com They do an excellent job of modifying the stock exhaust. They rework the baffles so they sound great...not too loud but with a deep rumble. Similar to Roadhouse but less expensive because you can return your original for a core exchange if you wish. They can also shorten them. I finally got the sound I've been looking for after three trys. Website is www.vtxexhaust.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Scott,
Funny you should ask!
I just purchased my VTX last week because a buddy brought his by one day and I was never the same after seeing it. We have identical RED C's, he has changed his stock to a Road house shorty. This is not hard to do(from my understanding) It sounds great! To actually get tech about it you can purchase a kit that will help remap the system. He has not done this yet because of the money and time. He only gets a little sputter here and there and mostly on a deceleration with the throttle back.
I want the sound as well but like the longer pipe, I need to know if the Road house standard sounds as good as the shorty since I have heard it!
Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are more complicated fixes for the "c" exhaust, but mine was REAL simple and was intended as a temporary fix...but I like it so much I'm keeping it. I bought a 1/2 drill bit that is about 9 inches long (got it at home depot). I removed the chrome cover on the rear of the exhaust and drilled 4 holes horizontally across the middle of the pipe, two on each side of the stock exhaust holes. Just make sure you drill the holes into the pipe itself, not just the angled cosmetic end plate...once you take the chrome end cap off you'll know what I'm refering to. JB 8)
PS. almost forgot, after deburring and filing off the rough edges, I painted it with high heat flat black.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I searched for an after market exhaust but could not find one that came close to the stock C header design which I think looks great. I ended up cutting the stock can at the first seam on the front and removing about 5 inches off the back. I removed all of the inside baffels and welded in a stainless mega phone with an semihemispheric end cap with 2 one inch stainlees pipes that match up to the stock tailpiece. A mandrel bent 1 7/8" (if I remember right) piece of stainless connects the megaphone to where the the collector clamps on. Both ends were welded back on, the crome cover clamps on the front as on the stock can, the end of the cover fits under the tail piece on the back. The can mounts and looks exactly like the original, except about 5"shorter.

Ride safe,

Bob

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Bob Hamby said:
I searched for an after market exhaust but could not find one that came close to the stock C header design which I think looks great. I ended up cutting the stock can at the first seam on the front and removing about 5 inches off the back. I removed all of the inside baffels and welded in a stainless mega phone with an semihemispheric end cap with 2 one inch stainlees pipes that match up to the stock tailpiece. A mandrel bent 1 7/8" (if I remember right) piece of stainless connects the megaphone to where the the collector clamps on. Both ends were welded back on, the crome cover clamps on the front as on the stock can, the end of the cover fits under the tail piece on the back. The can mounts and looks exactly like the original, except about 5"shorter.

Ride safe,

Bob
Was that what you did with my exhaust Bob?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you're doing well. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bare,
I used yours until mine was done, then I switched. Yours is now hanging on my workshop wall, you know kind of a bit of VTXOA history. I have been reading this board for almost two years, you have gone from baby bare poster to the Great DR. Bareass ( I saw that title above your post ) a well deserved accolade. Anyway nice hearing from you again, take care and ride safe.

Bob

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Bob Hamby said:
Bare,
I used yours until mine was done, then I switched. Yours is now hanging on my workshop wall, you know kind of a bit of VTXOA history. I have been reading this board for almost two years, you have gone from baby bare poster to the Great DR. Bareass ( I saw that title above your post ) a well deserved accolade. Anyway nice hearing from you again, take care and ride safe.

Bob
Hehe, good stuff Bob! You no doubt remember me asking newbie questions as well then? Lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm no doctor, I'm just "Bare", lol...

:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I donated mine to the troops in bagdad throught may need it to fire off some rockets, :lol: :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts