1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Those are just regular buld, Not true HID. So you can used them with no isses, But if your looking for a brighter buld look at sylvania bulds. By far the best buld replacement.

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
Well, what the seller says and what is stamped into the lamp base are 2 very different things. Seller says "OEM wattage" when clearly the lamp base has 90/100 watt which is nearly twice the stock wattage. I wouldn't buy them, if you want blue light, go to an auto parts store and find a blue light that is 55/60 watts so as to NOT burn out your start button

·
Registered
371 Posts
i would guess its a stock wattage, you just specify which wattage during the order.

You can't buy an HID bulb and expect HID light, you have to have a whole HID setup with relay, power box and new bulb. if you're looking for brighter i would recommend Sylvania Siverstars...they're impressive.

if you just want blue there are sloughs of blue lights out there, but they generally don't light the road up as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I am just looking for a brighter headlight without the be hassel of extreme makeovers. You mentioned Sylvania SilverStars, so I will go for them. So, as long as the wattage is stock recommended, I won't have a problem with it melting my headlight lens?

Thanks again.

OhioBob

·
Registered
371 Posts
you can remove all concern about melting your headlight lens, unless your bike erupts in a fireball. then it might end up happening.

·
Registered
495 Posts
+1 on the Sylvania SilverStar. I have it and love it. Lots of folks on here have that bulb.

Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
silverstar

are these bulbs considered straight replacements or do they require the HID upgrade as mentioned above for some types of bulbs? also, which bulb do you recommend, the ultra, H4 or otherwise?

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
i would guess its a stock wattage, you just specify which wattage during the order.

You can't buy an HID bulb and expect HID light, you have to have a whole HID setup with relay, power box and new bulb. if you're looking for brighter i would recommend Sylvania Siverstars...they're impressive.

if you just want blue there are sloughs of blue lights out there, but they generally don't light the road up as well.

I agree 100%.

I had these blue headlights in my car, cuz I thought they looked cool and HID-like. Boy was I wrong. Aside from mimicking the color, they are TOTALLY different, both in wattage and light output. The reason the bulbs are 90/100watt (I've been told) is because they need to be a higher wattage just to get the same lumens of light out of the dark painted bulb. A true HID system draws approximatly 35 watts. The actual light output is amazing. The 6000K-8000K HID light range is like sunlight. VERY bright. Those bulbs you were looking at are just what they look like. . H4 bulbs that have been painted (essentially).

If you want HID, you're going to have to pony up the 150-200 to get a kit that has a Ballast, Igniter, and HID xenon bulb. A true xenon bulb has no filament, rather the electricity "jumps" (for lack of better term) between two contacts, energizes xenon gas and emits light, simiar to a neon tube. The produced light is MUCH brighter then even the best halogen filament bulbs I've seen. You'll see road signs farther off in the distance then you ever thought possible.

If you're looking for a high quality halogen filament bulb, I definitly recommend the Sylvania Silverstars, pretty much top of the line, and the price compared to PIAA bulbs (another choice, bit more pricey) is stellar.

Good luck either way. Personally I wouldn't waste time or money (again) on the xenon knock offs.

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
You can/should never "Guess they are stock wattage" when it comes to Ebay sellers. They can type one thing and often sell you another. I know, it's the same as the pictures, they can have a picture of one item and sell you another. So, either ask the seller direct questions, or go buy the lamp in stock wattage at the auto parts store where you can actually see the item before you buy it. You don't want to burn out your starter button with a higher than stock lamp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts