Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
What's your experience with them?

Thanks

Rick

No problem with mine. I do recommend the quick mounts. Take em off and put em on in seconds. Easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
707 Posts
How does the inside stay dry with the lock on top? I was looking at Viking bags but I was told by the online chat person that you can't take the key out until the bag is locked. I have Tsukayu bags now and I like that I don't have to have the key in them. I can start the bike up and let it warm up while I throw my stuff together. Especially handy in the colder months. Also, I can go through a fast food drive thru and simply toss my order in the bag without shutting the bike off. The key issue is a deal breaker for me, otherwise they look like nice bags. I've seen them in person and they look like good quality.

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How does the inside stay dry with the lock on top? I was looking at Viking bags but I was told by the online chat person that you can't take the key out until the bag is locked. I have Tsukayu bags now and I like that I don't have to have the key in them. I can start the bike up and let it warm up while I throw my stuff together. Especially handy in the colder months. Also, I can go through a fast food drive thru and simply toss my order in the bag without shutting the bike off. The key issue is a deal breaker for me, otherwise they look like nice bags. I've seen them in person and they look like good quality.
Well...I have the ignition key separate, goes into my watch pocket when not in use.

On my key ring, which I keep in my pocket, are my house key, garage key, xtra ignition key and the bag key.

I like the idea that I have to lock the bag to close it-don't have to worry about forgetting to lock them.

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NEVER AGAIN!

Ordered these, https://www.vikingbags.com/honda-vtx-1300-s-viking-lamellar-slanted-leather-covered-motorcycle-hard-saddlebags .
Also, their Quick Release mounts.

Phoned Viking to insure I was getting the correct bags.

When the bags finally got here, I opened them up to check them out, seemed Ok.

Today, I was going to install them, no way!

When I rec'd the bags & quick release, I was short 2 docking posts.
Called them, a week later they sent me 4 more.

So today, I lay everything out to begin the install.

The bags don't fit between the shock & rear signals.

ALL bolts are the same length (Way too long) & the same diameter.

I guess they expect me to cut the bolts I can use to the proper length, and
purchase the smaller diameter bolts at the hardware store.

Then, I guess they expect me to drill out the docking posts so the larger bolts fit.

It's all going back!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Lamellar extra large slant bags cutout for shocks on my 2005 1300 S. What surprised me is that the cutout continued through the bottom of the bags thus reducing more than expected the volume. However, I think they are great. Key required to open, opening out - not toward seat. Very easy to stuff them when not fighting the lid hitting a seat.

With my EZbrackets they are held away from the bike far enough that they don't bother anything. With proper positioning they would fit within the signals and the shocks with standard brackets.

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Lamellar extra large slant bags cutout for shocks on my 2005 1300 S. What surprised me is that the cutout continued through the bottom of the bags thus reducing more than expected the volume. However, I think they are great. Key required to open, opening out - not toward seat. Very easy to stuff them when not fighting the lid hitting a seat.

With my EZbrackets they are held away from the bike far enough that they don't bother anything. With proper positioning they would fit within the signals and the shocks with standard brackets.
I really liked the bags, they just don't fit no matter how I position them.
Plus, for that kind of money, I expect the proper size & length bolts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
They came yesterday. https://www.vikingbags.com/honda-vtx-1300-s-viking-lamellar-slanted-leather-covered-motorcycle-hard-saddlebags

I took your advice and ordered the quick mounts.
Unfortunately, they shorted me 2 docking posts. :frown:

Called them, they should be here next week.

I don't believe it, they did the exact same thing with me. That sucks when you can't install something because of stupidity.

I have had the worst luck with getting stuff in its entirety. When I bought my reckless fairing I waited several weeks for delivery, and they forgot to put the mounting hardware in the box.

People just don't pay attention to detail anymore....

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It gets worse!

Get the post, now I'm ready to mount them. I lay out all the hardware, all the bolts are the same length & diameter.

AND, the bags don't fit!!
These are bike specific bags, by the way.

I call them, they have me jump thru hoops.

1st, they want me to pay to ship their mistake back to them-they finally send me a prepaid shipping label

After they get the bags, they deposit 1/2 of what the bags cost back into my acct. I
found out later, that's their restocking fee, 50% of the purchase. (My bad, I should have read the fine print).

All this time, I'm talking/ E-Mailing "David Hernandez" at Viking.
From the sound of his accent, David was born & raise in New Delhi.

TBL, I got back all my money minus $70.

I will NEVER do business with them again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It gets worse!

Get the post, now I'm ready to mount them. I lay out all the hardware, all the bolts are the same length & diameter.

AND, the bags don't fit!!
These are bike specific bags, by the way.

I call them, they have me jump thru hoops.

1st, they want me to pay to ship their mistake back to them-they finally send me a prepaid shipping label

After they get the bags, they deposit 1/2 of what the bags cost back into my acct. I
found out later, that's their restocking fee, 50% of the purchase. (My bad, I should have read the fine print).

All this time, I'm talking/ E-Mailing "David Hernandez" at Viking.
From the sound of his accent, David was born & raise in New Delhi.

TBL, I got back all my money minus $70.

I will NEVER do business with them again.

They'll never get any more of mine either, way too risky.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I am really sorry to hear that. When I bought mine I ordered the soft, well firm bags with shock cutout for my 1800C. When I got the bags they sent me both right hand side bags bug of different varieties. They made it right and sent me the correct set. The pre-drilled holes didn't match up with anything so I had to measure and drill but everything fit with some creative mounting. It wasn't ideal but at the time they were really good value, and they did mAke right their mistake. I always hate to hear people get hosed like that.

Thanks for sharing, there's no other way for us to know who to look out for.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What's your experience with them?

Thanks

Rick
"David Hernandez" at Viking. from New Delhi. told me they are in stock ready to ship ,
took 4 almost 5 months to get them in the mean time New Delhi David tells me as i placed my order the last few of them must've went out "sorry" there will be more soon .. .
bolts also didn't fit anywhere = had to buy bolts .
mine were painted = micro layer of paint that comes off to a gentle touch .
brackets had the bags 3 inches if not more sticking out a side = UuuuUugLy.. .
= Made my own brackets drilled holes made it work nice and flush .
the key Can be removed when unlocked .
OverAll.. . i would not recommend vikings
cheap as it was im happy with it but next time i will do some shopping around .

had to do some off roading at the Lake so they re dusty as hell but there it is
pretty flush fit huh.. .
i do get compliments on them from other riders who don't know what it took to get there

·
Registered
26,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am really sorry to hear that. When I bought mine I ordered the soft, well firm bags with shock cutout for my 1800C. When I got the bags they sent me both right hand side bags bug of different varieties. They made it right and sent me the correct set. The pre-drilled holes didn't match up with anything so I had to measure and drill but everything fit with some creative mounting. It wasn't ideal but at the time they were really good value, and they did mAke right their mistake. I always hate to hear people get hosed like that.

Thanks for sharing, there's no other way for us to know who to look out for.
Keep in mind, this was my experience with Viking.

Hopefully, others had a better experience than I did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts