Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for a 2K ride next month and trying to figure my load and how I'm going to haul it. Saddlebags are out of the question because of my rear bullets are mounted on the fender rail. (if there were micro saddles that I could throw over my rear seat?). My rear backrest is an Ultimate, but I do not have a rear rack and have no option there. My options are limited to anything that sits between the rear backrest and the riders backrest. I have thought of a tank bag but I hate to have anything sit on my custom paint and scratch it, but I laid enough coats of clear that if I do happen to scratch it, I can buff it out. Any thoughts would be appriciated. :D

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
doinok said:
I am getting ready for a 2K ride next month and trying to figure my load and how I'm going to haul it. Saddlebags are out of the question because of my rear bullets are mounted on the fender rail. (if there were micro saddles that I could throw over my rear seat?). My rear backrest is an Ultimate, but I do not have a rear rack and have no option there. My options are limited to anything that sits between the rear backrest and the riders backrest. I have thought of a tank bag but I hate to have anything sit on my custom paint and scratch it, but I laid enough coats of clear that if I do happen to scratch it, I can buff it out. Any thoughts would be appriciated. :D
Here are a couple of ideas;

http://www.tbags.com/productsall.aspx

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/vtx.htm this one you can put between the passenger backrest and you.. gives you something to lean against.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/luggage. ... rcycle+bag

http://www.m-p-c.com/VTX-1800.htm

BTW, the lugage rack for the Paladin is less than 75 bucks. It will add an area to carry stuff...

Hope that helps,
Gary

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tank Bags

I've got a Marsee and it fits perfectly between the seat and the gas tank filler. The magnets are stronger than other bags I've looked at and it comes with a rain cover and clear plastic map insert on top. It also expands to twice it's size. Mine came with a "free" wallet. Good thing, my old one was pretty crapped out. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the Universial Expandable by TBags, and love it. You would not beleive how much gear it will hold. It can be placed either on rack behind sissy bar, or on pass seat behind you for back support. It has straps for using as backpack and also comes with raincover, in case you get caught in downpour.........

·
Registered
273 Posts
First off, kudos to CRUZR who has provided you with some really good links here.

About the magnetic tank bag...I'm not sure what type of fuel sensor the bike has. There have been instances where the magnets affected the fuel level readout in certain bikes (low fuel light). Maybe Tapper or Bare can shed some light on this as to whether the bag would jeopardize the functioning of this feature in your X.

Secondly, if you don't have provisions for mounting saddlebags on your ride, the T-Bag system or other approximate product would seem to be your only fix. They're a great system and work well. Just one suggestion though. I line the inside of the T-Bag with a heavy gauge garbage bag, before loading it up. Don't fold your clothing items, roll them. This will take up less space. Also use zip-lock type freezer bags for packing smaller items in the T-Bag's other compartments. This will guarantee that none of your kit will get wet, should you get caught in a downpour (which you invariably will...). Hope for the best, plan for the worse.

As a sidenote, this situation illustrates the type of thought process that should be involved in selecting custom add-ons. Speaking only for myself, I may change the type of lights on my ride, but will normally leave the placement of them stock, as I do prefer to do a lot of touring and certainly want somewhere to hang a set of saddlebags. It all depends on what you intend to do with your ride. I also ran bullet-type lights on many previous rides, but switched back to larger, more visible units whenever I was hitting the road. (I only thought I was paranoid until I learned that all cagers are out to kill me...).

Travel light. Travel often. Have fun out there and stay alert.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a tourmaster T bag and turn it around to sit on the passenger seat, works great. I also use a small magnetic tank bag when traveling long distances, great place to carry camera, cell phone, sunglasses, concealed carry item 8) , etc. It can be carried into restaurants and such easily.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For second seat storage check out:
http://www.cruiserbag.com

I have the largest bag they make and it will carry enough gear to keep you on the road a week without havin' to visit a laundromat. I like that it keeeps the weight where it belongs on the bike; low and near the centerline. I'm not a fan of high rise backrest bags. If not packed carefully they can put too much weight up too high and too far to the rear which leads to an improperly balanced ride. I wouldn't want to ride 2000 miles on an ill-handling scooter.

Also have a huge magnetic tank bag I got from JC Whitney. Magnets have never affected the fuel pump that I have noticed. Like to keep important stuff (wallet, camera, maps, phone, cash, etc) in the bag cause with a quick snap of the safety strap I can take it with me during short stops.

May fall in the category of [email protected]#t but...
Did get a warning from a sport bike rider regarding the speedometer needle. The tank bag's magnets may move the needle off the scale and cause it to get stuck or read incorrectly. With very little thought the needle can be avoided when mounting and dismounting the bag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cruiser Bag with Beetle Bags?

Big Blurple (or anybody),

Any idea if the Cruiser Bag would also fit with Beetle Bags? It looks like it attaches to the rails and those are covered with Beetle Bags.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I will look into your inputs and let you know. I really want a tank bag that will not slide around and scratch my finish.
A T-bag is my ultimate option for a long ride, just not sure what brand. The distance from top of backrest to seat is not that much.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i used to run T-bags until i found the Kury Full Dresser bag. alot easier to get items in and out of. a tad bit larger that hte TBag too.

the tank bag i use is a tour master.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I just ran across this in June Motorcycle Cruiser magazine. This tank bag is made for a cruiser. Right at the beginning is the Map Pocket and the Cruiser Tank bag.

Here's the link: http://www.dowco-inc.com/Accessories_RP.asp?seg=2 They do have other ones too.

>Edited...
Here's another idea and it won't scratch the tank. Not sure if I like it on there all the time. But for longer trips I like the idea of not actually setting on the tank... I would think they would fit but you will have to check first???
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/BigMak/

Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Red,
I like the looks of of your tank bag. Any problems with it? I just bought a Kury full dresser and hope that it will fit on my back seat w/backrest. I have no rack.

·
Registered
526 Posts
doinok said:
Red,
I like the looks of of your tank bag. Any problems with it? I just bought a Kury full dresser and hope that it will fit on my back seat w/backrest. I have no rack.
thanks!

no no problems at all, i could pull it far enough back on my 1300 to still see the speedo, its expandable and has a map pocket.

youll love the full dresser bag, its by far on of the best designed of oany ive coma across. one word of advice, when cinching the buckles, pull straight against the buckles (parallel with the straps, not perpendicular). i snapped a buckle by pulling at too much of an outward angle. kury replaced it, no questions asked, but it did leave me without a buckle for a few days during the trip.

i would recommend some sort of rack or support under your bag, otherwise it will probably wear the paint off of your fender.

good luck and enjoy it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Red,

I plan on sitting the bag on my rear seat facing backwards. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Don't use a magnetic-type, it'll goof up the paint, it's got metal flake in it.

My Joe Rocket sits on a shelf now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
David said:
Don't use a magnetic-type, it'll goof up the paint, it's got metal flake in it. My Joe Rocket sits on a shelf now.
My Tank Bag is magnetic, and ive seen no problems at all.

doinok, ive done this when travelling solo. due to the plastic shelves, lay a folded beach towel or similar across the open side, to act as padding brfore you zip it up. gives you a built in backrest when youre on the road.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Red Devel said:
David said:
Don't use a magnetic-type, it'll goof up the paint, it's got metal flake in it. My Joe Rocket sits on a shelf now.

doinok, ive done this when travelling solo. due to the plastic shelves, lay a folded beach towel or similar across the open side, to act as padding brfore you zip it up. gives you a built in backrest when youre on the road.
I understand it will make all the metal flakes pool under the magnets. Really makes for a "blotchy" paint job….. All those shiny flakes in one area.

Sorry I couldn’t resist, I have never heard of that. I used one on my old bike for years and never saw any problems???
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Red,
I think that I'm going with what you have.
But I really am afaid that within the 12 coats of paint that I have with metal flake some really weird sh!t is going to happen. COOL :lol:
Thanks for your input RED. It helped alot.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Red Devel said:
David said:

I use a Joe Rocket "Sport" magnetic tank bag, the magnets are about 3/4" and there are six of them. If you leave the magnet on the tank for any legnth of time, and it will get warm under the black "Diener nylon" material, it will pull the paint into a lump at the magnet. Look closer next time, run your fingers over the paint, you'll feel it. It disapates, but I'm not using the tank bag unless I really need to now.

If you want it, I'll sell it for $75.00
http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

·
Registered
526 Posts
i use it for a week or better at a time, and there are 'bumps' in the paint following the footprint of the rubberized underliner of the bag. point is there is no 'damage' done. leave it out in the sun for a few hours, and there is no blemishes at all. there is DEFINITELY no 'pooling' of metal flake where the magnets were.

to retort, i use the tank bag when traveling, not everyday. ive run 3 different bags on 4 different bikes. when i stop for gas, and i remove the bag, i wipe off the bottom of it, to make sure there is no grime or grit that can rub on the paint. other than that, i let the magnets hold it down. there is in fact a 'bump' pattern left in the paint, but it levels itself out without a trace, if those surfaces are kept clean.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts