Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding this weekend, I noticed that one of my 10x40 socket bolts on my rear fender had come loose and fallen out at some point. Since I had never loosened this bolt, that would lead me to believe that it came from the factory not tightened to specs. :shock:

Anyway, I ordered the 80 cent part from PowerSports Pro on Sunday. None of the Honda dealerships had it in stock. The guy behind the counter assured me that it would be here by Friday. Called them today and they now can't guarantee me anything. They said it could now take 10 business days. :x

Without the bolt, the bike makes one hell of a vibration racket. Not sure that normal 1 up riding would make too much difference since I only weigh 170, but I would rather not risk it.

The bolt (part #96600-10040-00) is the first bolt in the grab rail behind the rear shock. Wondered if anyone actually had one of these bolts as a spare part? Or would anyone have an idea where I could get my hands on one? I called HDL and they said it would take at least 10 business days to get me an OEM part, probably more.

Nebtiger, not sure if you had to reuse your bolts on your 240 setup. If not, can I snag one of your spares?

I really would like to get this taken care of before I head to KC this weekend.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I may. Let me check when I get home tonight from KC. If I do and it is not raining or wet i will bring to the Red Eye tonight

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I may have one laying around, if not I can almost guarantee Rod's does. I've got some of them before from them for free. Do you know the thread pitch on it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know the thread pitch, but it is the same as the 10x32 (second bolt on the rail). I have extra ones of those, but they are too short. But they can be used for an example to get the thread pitch for a new bolt. I called Motorcycle Supply on 84th street. When I said it was metric, the guy got all flustered, which really suprised me since I have gone there many times before and they have been extremely helpful, knowing that I ride a metric. I must have gotten a weekend helper and not one of the normal parts guys.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that it would be the standard pitch of 1.50. It doesn't look like fine or very fine threads.

I called Nebraska-Iowa Industrial Fasteners Corp on 85th and K st. They said they definately had plenty of those in stock. I figured that I would stop by after work and check them out. Probably not a pretty bolt, but functional until the one I already bought from the dealer comes in.

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier. :oops:

As far as the Red Eye tonight, I'm unsure. The weather channel says that there should be no rain after 6 pm, but Accuweather.com says there will be no rain until 6 pm and continue until at least 8 pm. :roll:

Go figure. Andy, let me know if you are going. If you are, I will make it out.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
vtxraider said:
Probably not a pretty bolt, but functional until the one
If they have one in stainless, you can polish it up to a chrome like shine. I know a place here that has stainless for sure (M&M Metric Fasteners). Then you could cancel the other one (because it's stainless not chrome)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, standard thread isn't correct. :x

5 threads(new bolt) to 6 on the other bolt.

Must be fine thread.

Oh well, 93 cents down the drain! I will try to get another one tomorrow.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is 7:20PM the wind is really blowing so I may be going down to the RE but unfortunately I do not have the bolts. I sold the struts a while ago and may have included the bolts in that deal.

Sorry

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andy, sorry I didn't get to the RE last night. It was raining and wet in Bellevue by 7:00. Since it was wet and I said we probably weren't going to go to the RE, the wife then recruited me into doing some things for her. I didn't see your message till almost 9:00. Sorry about that. I will try to catch you and Chip at the RE, the next time around.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I don't think Ace has that big :( I was looking for a similar bolt a week or two back and the biggest I saw was 8x1.25x40. But some Ace's have different stock.

But I do have one you can use, I'd give it to ya but I don't remember what it goes to and I have a few things that I'll eventually put back on.

You can look up Fasteners in the yellowpages and probably find someone that has it. We have M&M Metric here in Lincoln.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rob, I called everyone in Omaha, M&M Metric in Lincoln and all the Lincoln dealerships. No one carries 1.25 pitch metric in stock. :x If you don't mind, could I borrow your extra bolt for the weekend. The bolt I ordered on Sunday should be in the by mid next week. I don't think I would have any problems without the bolt, but it does make a nasty vibration noise in 2nd and 3rd gear right now.

If you still have the spare and don't mind lending it to me, could I come by tonight and get it? You'll have to tell me which road you live on. If I see your house I will remember, but I don't remember which way we came in on Saturday morning. (I was blinded by Andy's big rear end! :lol: )

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
vtxraider said:
Rob, I called everyone in Omaha, M&M Metric in Lincoln and all the Lincoln dealerships. No one carries 1.25 pitch metric in stock. :x If you don't mind, could I borrow your extra bolt for the weekend. The bolt I ordered on Sunday should be in the by mid next week. I don't think I would have any problems without the bolt, but it does make a nasty vibration noise in 2nd and 3rd gear right now.

If you still have the spare and don't mind lending it to me, could I come by tonight and get it? You'll have to tell me which road you live on. If I see your house I will remember, but I don't remember which way we came in on Saturday morning. (I was blinded by Andy's big rear end! :lol: )
I'm really surprised M&M didn't have it!

I don't mind you using one of the ones I have for as long as you need. They're just sitting on the shelf in a baggie with 2 other bolts (that's why I know they go with something) If you decide to ride over we can put those braided lines on if you want. You can mapquest you're way there but from Bellview the quickest way (I think) is to come up 370 to the interstate, go to the 420 exit and go south on Hwy 63 (past the Adult Bookstore) I'm 7 miles south on the right just before the grain elevator and right past the 35mph sign. There's a much more scenic way though Louisville, just check the map if you want to do that way)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Rob! I really enjoyed hanging in your garage last night. Actually, the ride home wasn't that bad doing 80 on the interstate. I rather enjoyed it. My hands were pretty cold when I pulled into my driveway at midnight. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts