Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I exchanged some private messages with a forum member here who was into trading the markets. Within the last two years, I've renewed my effort to get into trading successfully, but I cannot remember that forum member's name. Does anyone here remember a member that used to trade? Is anyone else into trading the markets? Attached are my trades in my paper account today. Up $1575 in ULTA.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,273 Posts
I suppose you might say I dabble a bit. :D

As I recall, it was YOU who tipped me onto the growth potential of Tazer, some time back before the ugly scenes of Ferguson, MO. I think that stock more than quadrupled during the time I held it. A nice 6 figure boost. :thumbup: Another excellent tip that came from right here in the Hotbox was related to Obama trying to smear some of the ratings companies - McGraw-Hill and others. I'm still holding that, and up by a >5x factor.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!

I bought BMRN at $6.29. Still holding some. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when it was $150. About half that now, but still. Whoever I had been talking to here had recommended a book- Trend Trading for a Living.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose you might say I dabble a bit. :D

As I recall, it was YOU who tipped me onto the growth potential of Tazer, some time back before the ugly scenes of Ferguson, MO. I think that stock more than quadrupled during the time I held it. A nice 6 figure boost. Another excellent tip that came from right here in the Hotbox was related to Obama trying to smear some of the ratings companies - McGraw-Hill and others. I'm still holding that, and up by a >5x factor.
What have you been investing in lately? I've been working on options swing trades. I "made" over $4K the other day, while risking much less capital.

·
Registered
10,273 Posts
I’m just a bland old equities trader. But with the market volatility that has give plenty of opportunity for 10% gains in less than a week. Apple, FB, Google, Amazon have all given multiple arractive entry and exits this year. But my Form 8949 can sure get long. :grin2:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TDA followed Schwab yesterday in eliminating most commissions for equities and options, matching IB's recent change. Equities are now free, and all 3 price options at 65¢ per contract.

TDA (AMTD) dropped over 25% yesterday on the news. I picked up 25 Jan 17 $50 Calls @ 15¢. Looking to add other strikes and expirys here this week, expecting a price recovery in AMTD as the shock over the fee structure sorts itself out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sounds like you are quite the gambler Sandman. I used to buy and sit on stocks (Aust) as a younger man but have now cashed out, as the humble amount I now have, is what I have. At my age I'm happy with a bit more security. However my retirement savings are mostly in shares and your president is making markets world wide go wobbly with the China trade war. I agree with putting tariff's on Chinese products, and everyone world wide should be doing it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got stopped out of my final FCX Put position today. Total profit of $594.50 on $619.50 capital risk = 95.96% return in 15 days. Not bad at all.

Currently looking at AMTD 18 OCT $35 Calls and AXSM 20 DEC $25 Calls. Both have very nice chart setups.

·
Registered
763 Posts
This thread isn't about politics.

I don't mean at all to bring politics into it and am sorry you perceived it that way. Just stating what is affecting world markets. Also do you pay high taxes for quick profits where you are? I always sat on stocks as the tax rate went down from ridiculous to bearable if you held the stock for twelve months. Do you trade the money markets as well?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, short term (less than one year) trading generally comes with higher federal tax rates. However, you can trade in a Roth IRA and any profits in that account are completely tax free. The caveat is that you cannot withdraw them until you are 59 1/2.

·
Old Goat
24,827 Posts
I’m not as smart as u guys..I tried it ....was too labor intensive for me...I got a guy.....good luck....:thumbup:

My brother is smart...back in the day he bought Qualcomm for $34...I believe he sold at $400....still spending that fundage...

·
Banned
519 Posts
I got stopped out of my final FCX Put position today. Total profit of $594.50 on $619.50 capital risk = 95.96% return in 15 days. Not bad at all.

Currently looking at AMTD 18 OCT $35 Calls and AXSM 20 DEC $25 Calls. Both have very nice chart setups.
I was a professional trader for 3 decades , I once made $80K in 90 seconds trading a stock/scam.... it was Freeport that discovered that it was all a scam
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bre-X#Fraud_exposed

https://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1997/06/09/227519/index.htm

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I was a professional trader for 3 decades , I once made $80K in 90 seconds trading a stock/scam.... it was Freeport that discovered that it was all a scam
So, are you telling us this from a jail cell, or is that why you're in Mexico now?

Maybe I'm missing something regarding your admittance. :dontknow:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thunder Road was the forum member I was looking for. Anyone know what happened to him? Last activity here was 2016.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the best trade I've made so far. $820 risked and $4130 profit in one week. That's 504% return on capital. $820 is not at all unreasonable for me to risk. Unfortunately, this was in my paper account (so, not real money, but it does use real market data to execute the trades). I'm working on building my trade account balance so I can take advantage of opportunities like this one.

Attachments

·
Old Goat
24,827 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bre-X#Fraud_exposed

https://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1997/06/09/227519/index.htm
So, are you telling us this from a jail cell, or is that why you're in Mexico now?

Maybe I'm missing something regarding your admittance. :dontknow:

Let’s hope he aint bragging...:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
A friend I used to work with bought a ton of Apple stock back in 2001 and still has most of it. Made him a couple of million over time. I've never traded myself so wouldn't know where to start but I'm thinking about a couple of cannabis startups to invest a little bit in to sit on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts