Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for photos of bikes that have polished fins but have kept the silver base engine paint.

Seems pretty common for folks here to paint the engine and polish, but was wondering what it would look like leaving the stock base silver paint and then polishing?

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Did you clearcoat them or anything to keep them polished and shiny??

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks! Did you clearcoat them or anything to keep them polished and shiny??
Actually that pic and article was not done by myself so i am not sure
but looking at the 'thread" provided "the chief" ( who did the fine write-up)
made no mention of clear coats and such!

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Anybody ever paint them black and leave the engine silver :dontknow:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been thinking about trying something like that with reflective tape. Black in the daylight and glow white at night when headlights hit it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Polishing

The Posts Allmack Put up is my bike - Polishing the Fins Looks GREAT - If you do it right- the shine is chrome like and virtually no maintenance! Pm me if you have questions - but the instructions are good - JUST TAKE YOUR TIME!

The Chief

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The maintenance issue is key for me.

I ride in all weather, all year....so salt spray, etc is moreoften on my bike than not.

The wheels hold up TERRIBLY even after polishing and then waxing and "sealing" them.....and I do thos a few times a year. (Hence why I am having them Permastar'd)

I dont want to create another thing I have to keep polished.......clearing would probably keep them clean.....anyone know if they make a hi-temp clear coat?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cleaning

I have not Re touched them since I polished them over a 1 year ago- Except for waxing with the Mothers Ball to keep the Bling. There is no rust or anything - I see no reason to clear coat them - but if that is what you want someone might chime in.

The Chief

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keeping the bling is the reason I would clearcoat.....dont want MORE to have to "keep up" as far as shininesss goes....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Keeping the bling is the reason I would clearcoat.....dont want MORE to have to "keep up" as far as shininesss goes....
That clearcoat isn't going to last forever either, especially seeing that much weather.

Eric

GO STEELERS!!!!

Penn Hills;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts