Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Wing forum but thought I might get some more input here, too.

Sunday I went to see the Red Sox at Detroit. I was on I-75 south of Detroit both comind and going. Quite frankly, the road isn't in good condition at all but that wasn't my biggest concern.

Especially on the southbound side heading out of Detroit, I encountered large sections of the concrete roadway wherein there were what looked like 1/4" wide grooves cut about every inch in the general direction of the traffic. I'm guessing the reason has something to do with water drainage, but I really don't know

I have to tell you, I've never felt as out of control on a bike in my life. Between the grooves reducing the contact surface for the tires, the high wind gusts yesterday and the 80 mph traffic including tractor/trailer rigs all around, it was really scary more than a couple of times. The worst was a section on a downhill curve where these same grooves had been cut into an asphalt repair. I could actually feel myself drift toward the outside of the curve on that stuff in the 98 degree heat that had to soften that cut asphalt. My solution was to roll the throttle forward and reduce my speed, which seemed to work.

One question I have is whether anyone else has had this experience and if it's the norm or if I'm just not as confident after a bad accident a while back (a very real possibility, I believe). Another consideration is whether this was just a 'perfect storm' kind of scenario with the high temperature and high wind gusts combined with heavy, high speed traffic and unfamiliar roads that produced this.

I was never so happy to get through a stretch of road in my life and that includes the time I ended up on a raod made up of #2 (baseball size) stone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
these grooves drain off excess water and are supposed to increase traction. they actually might do that, but my bike doesn't like it. i drove from detroit to indy sunday. many miles of grooved pavement in the new construction areas. try riding over the maumee river bridge in toledo now that it's open...... grooved pavement and low guard rails.

everyone i talk to hates these grooves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hate driving that stretch of freeway in a cage, let alone riding a bike. Those grooves SUCK, I just dealt with them today on I-96 on the local lanes just west of Detroit.

But going back to I-75 those grooves, along with all that truck traffic... I feel for you, man.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vtxpylut said:
these grooves drain off excess water and are supposed to increase traction. they actually might do that, but my bike doesn't like it. i drove from detroit to indy sunday. many miles of grooved pavement in the new construction areas. try riding over the maumee river bridge in toledo now that it's open...... grooved pavement and low guard rails.

everyone i talk to hates these grooves.
It sure didn't FEEL like it increased my traction. I actually felt myself drifting to the outside of the curve.

Is that bridge in Toledo the ML King bridge (the old Adams Street bridge)?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yep, They have grooves cut into the pavement just west of VanDyke on 696 also. Don't seem quite that deep but I know what'cha mean. It feels scary the first few times. I'am getting a little more used to it, but still slows me down , especially on the curves.
(They don't go any slower on 696 either)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul Weser said:
RELAX your grip, reduce your speed and proceed with focused caution. All will go well.
That's pretty much what I did. Of course, that was after I had to consciously release the death grip that the feeling of drifting out of that first curve created

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Gary,

A bit like riding the inside lanes on Mackinac bridge with a 45 mile an hour "breeze"?

Still working on the smaller gauges!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts