Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall reading several discussions about the VTX being somewhat of a cold blooded machine when it comes to cold starts. In fact i've had several Hondas that all share this trait. Have any of you ever used an engine heater ?

Now I know you might think being from Arizona , why in the world would you need one? Well truth be told it takes my bike a good 5 to 10 minutes before you can really whack the throttle without a slight stumble.Once it reaches normal operating temperature she's fine.

I thought surely the folks that have REALLY cold weather would have some experience with these. But then it dawned on me that once it gets really cold there it also snows and your riding is done , thus no need for a heater.

Take a look at this and tell me what you think http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Motorcycle.htm

Now this one is an external unit , but you get the idea.

·
3,915 Posts
You don't need it. Maybe if the temp was 20 below zero. I run my bike all the time at 20 degrees on clear days no problem. I'm not epoxy-ing anything to my engine. Do you have a heater on your car?. Or do you just run it till it warms up?

People get nuts sometimes with the crap they think they need(I'm guilty sometimes so, don't get offended) for a hundred or 200 bucks buy yourself something for the bike you will enjoy.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree that you don't need a pre-heater in your situation.

Having said that I can tell that I have used their pre-heaters on several airplanes that I've owned over the years, with excellant results. :D

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Buy an 1800 8)

Start it.... Hop on... grip it & rip it :p

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
A 100 watt shop light. Lay it under the bike and turn it on. Helps to first throw a blanket over the bike.

This helps for starting that old beater car on those sub-zero days, as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts